Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

What does a code 556 on a Cummins diesel usually mean

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/10/2017
Technician: SprinterRob,
 replied 5 months ago
SprinterRob

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'ll be assisting you with your question today. Please give me a few moments to review your question. Also keep in mind that I do not know your skill level or abilities so I may be asking a lot of questions before I can answer. In some cases we may need to respond to each other quite a bit before I can come up with a possible solution for you. As far as phone calls, If you didn't request it, it is most likely the Website prompting you, not me. A Live Call is a "Premium Service" and will cost more money. I prefer communicating via this site, but in some cases a phone call may be recommended.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

It’s a freight liner. Last eight ccby4107. Hours
45k
Technician: SprinterRob,
 replied 5 months ago

Does this vehicle have air brakes? or Hydraulic brakes? 556 comes up as a brake booster pressure sensor code...

I was assuming you had a Dodge as this question was in the Dodge category..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Air brakes yes
Technician: SprinterRob,
 replied 5 months ago

The code comes back to Brake Booster Pressure sensor, except air brakes doesn't include a vacuum brake booster... I'll opt out in case any other expert can chime in on this....

Thank you,

Robert

K
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is the engine model from the ID tag on the engine?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

Fault Code 556
Crankcase Pressure - Data Valid but Above Normal Operational Range - Most Severe Level
CODES REASON EFFECT
Fault Code: 556
PID(P), SID(S): P101
SPN: 101
FMI: 0/0
Lamp: Red
SRT:
Crankcase Pressure - Data Valid
but Above Normal Operational
Range - Most Severe Level. The
crankcase breather filter requires
maintenance.
Engine power derate.
Circuit Description:
The pressure inside the crankcase is measured by the crankcase pressure sensor. When the crankcase pressure sensor
determines that the crankcase pressure is higher than normal, this fault code is logged.
Component Location:
The crankcase pressure sensor is located in the crankcase filter. The crankcase filter is located on the fuel system side
of the engine.
Conditions for Running the Diagnostics:
This diagnostic runs continuously when the engine speed is greater than 500 rpm.
Conditions for Setting the Fault Codes:
The ECM detects that the crankcase pressure is greater than a calibratible limit.
Action Taken When the Fault Code is Active:
• The ECM illuminates the red STOP ENGINE light when the crankcase pressure limit is exceeded.
• The engine torque output will be reduced to protect the engine from excessive crankcase pressure.
Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code:
The ECM will turn off the red STOP ENGINE light as soon as the crankcase pressure drops below a calibratible limit.
Shop Talk:
Verify the electronic control module (ECM) calibration is correct. Check the calibration revision history found on
QuickServe™ Online for applicable fixes to the calibration stored in the ECM. If necessary, calibrate the ECM.
Possible causes of this fault code include:
• Crankcase filter needs to be replaced.
• Frozen crankcase breather filter.
• Frozen inlet tube to the crankcase breather filter housing.
• Frozen outlet tube from the crankcase breather filter housing.
• Frozen inside the crankcase breather filter housing.
If the crankcase filter is being replaced frequently for this fault code, refer to the Crankcase Coalescing Filter - Frequent
Replacement troubleshooting symptom tree.

Filter has been replaced.
When it says frozen and all the other items does that mean frozen due to cold temperature?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

could be but mostly it means restricted which would cause excess pressure to build. If none of this is found look for a faulty wiring or sensor.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

over a grand I see. Replacing and trying a new pressure sensor which could be your problem and inspecting the sensor wiring would be my next step and see if the problem resolves. It also can be software related if there is no actual excessive pressure found.

Is the 26-27 in H2O high when in stall condition? 8 in H2O at idle?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

Can you get me the model and serial number information from the engine ID tag?

I can’t at this time. They are 20 minutes from here where it is. It’s a freight liner Xc chassis. Cummins ISB engine 300hp, with Allison my-2100 trans
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

The proper size orifice is . 221 inches. Use a tee fitting from the breather tube and at the bottom of the tee drill the . 221 hole in a pipe plug and on the other side of the tee use a number 4 hose.

If using a manometer you will need to convert the inches of water to liters per minute (L/Min).

Newer engines numbers are 63 liters per minute @ 2200rpm, 76 L/Min @ 2500rpm and 85 L/Min @ 2800rpm.

Worn engine numbers are 126 L/Min @ 2200rpm, 152 L/Min @ 2500rpm, and 170 L/Min @ 2800 rpm.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson