Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have an active code of 3375 on ISX engine with in active…

I have an active...

I have an active code of 3375 on ISX engine with in active codes 3383, 6263 which has nothing to do with it, 2639, 1921, 2754. I tried to region truck and the aftertreatment injector would not turn on

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

After the driver drives for a period of time he gets excessive smoke enough to go up in the cab

11/9/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help, Give me some time to pull these codes for you and gather some info.

Regent injector not turning on. Changed EGR PRESSURE SENSOR but have no pressure. Stays at 0. Talk to main mechanic for company and they said DPF and everything has been cleaned recently
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 years ago

Possible causes of this fault code include:

• Malfunctioning aftertreatment temperature sensor(s)
  • Malfunctioning or stuck in-range aftertreatment DPF pressure sensor
  • An engine malfunction resulting in high engine out smoke
  • Damaged or malfunctioning OEM wiring harness to the differential pressure sensor
  • Aftertreatment DPF with excessive ash accumulation caused by lubricating oil consumption or coolant consumption.

An excessive ash accumulation condition reduces the soot holding capability of the DPF and will cause frequent aftertreatment regenerations

CODE REASON EFFECT

Fault Code: 3375
PID: S115
SPN: 5397
FMI: 0/31
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

Aftertreatment Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration Too Frequent - Condition Exists. The system has detected that the need for an active regeneration has occurred too soon following the last active regeneration.

None on performance.

Fault Code: 3383
PID: P411
SPN: 3058
FMI: 16

Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System - Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range - Moderately Severe Level. Measured EGR flow is higher than commanded.

Possible reduced engine performance.

Possible causes of this fault are:

• Blockage, restrictions, or leaks in the EGR differential pressure sensor ports
  • Leaking EGR valve
  • Stuck open EGR valve
  • Malfunctioning EGR differential pressure sensor.

Check the EGR diff sensor located on the exhaust side of the engine .Verify the sensor ports are clean of soot and not plugged. Check for a plugged EGR valve and system. Sometimes the entire egr valve and components must be removed, taken apart and cleaned from soot build up resulting from excessive idling. If you find the soot to be wet and sticky suspect and check for a failed EGR cooler.

Also the symptoms you are describing point to a possible faulty 7th injector and possible EGR cooler and system problems. Have you done any troubleshooting there?

Not yet
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 years ago

Fault 2639 :

This fault code can be triggered if the application is not operating at duty cycle high enough to regenerate the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter. This fault code indicates that the exhaust temperatures exiting the turbocharger are not high enough to actively regenerate the soot that is trapped in the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter. It may be necessary to increase the duty cycle of the application in order to prevent plugging of the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter.

Note: This fault code indicates that the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter requires maintenance by preforming a stationary regeneration procedure. This is a maintenance procedure only and is not covered by Cummins warranty.

• The engine has been operating in light load operating conditions that prevent exhaust temperatures from being high enough to regenerate the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter.
  • A possible engine damage that causes excessive black smoke to be generated.

The aftertreatment diesel particulate filter soot loading can be classified into four different stages. As the soot load increases, the AFTERTREATMENT lamp and the Cummins CHECK ENGINE (Amber) or STOP ENGINE (Red) lamp will operate according to the table below. The stationary regeneration procedure can be used to clear the soot from the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter in stages 1, 2, and 3. At level 4, the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter is completely plugged and must be replaced. Inadequate exhaust temperatures entering the aftertreatment system can be a cause of high soot loads in the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter. The duty cycle of the application may need to be increased in order to prevent excessive soot from accumulating in the filter.

Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code

• It is necessary to perform INSITE electronic service tool Aftertreatment Reset procedure.
  • Perform INSITE electronic service tool Aftertreatment Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration

CODE REASON EFFECT

Fault Code: 2639
PID: S324
SPN: 3251
FMI: 0/15
LAMP: None
SRT:

Aftertreatment Diesel Particulate Filter Differential Pressure - Data Valid but Above Normal Operating Range - Least Severe Level. The soot load of the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter has exceeded the recommended limits.

The aftertreatment dash lamp will be illuminated and will begin to flash as the severity of the soot load increases. Possible engine protection derate based on severity.

Fault 2639 :

Also if all repairs are made ant the DPF is services and sensors and injector cleaned, etc but the system wont reset with a successful regen and 1921 is present, go into advanced ecm data and reset the doc and dpf (this should be done after replacing) This should make the fault inactive. The Aftertreatment injector will kick on once temps are above 500 deg. So put in a regen and let it run all the way thru if there is an issue you will get another fault.

This would be using Insite program.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 years ago

2754 Engine Particulate Filter Inlet Pressure - Data Valid but Above Normal Also an indication of a plugged DPF.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 years ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson