Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I'm getting a low voltage, stop engine warning on my 02

Customer Question
freightliner century. The truck kills...
I'm getting a low voltage, stop engine warning on my 02 freightliner century. The truck kills but will start back up. Sometimes only for a few seconds, sometimes up to 5 or 10 minutes.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/7/2017
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 7 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

what is the voltage at the battery with the engine running???

stop engine light will come on iff low in coolant or low oil pressure. have you checked this??

Did you get my response?

there was no response but just what you sent now

I sent. The coolant level is fine and the oil pressure gauge is normal. I even unplugged the coolant senor for a moment and it died instantly. The voltage shows 12.5 when first started and if it doesn't die it will climb to 14.5 about 20 seconds later. If I'm lucky to get it moving 29mph or more I can keep it moving by turning the key to off position then back to on position several times. Each time it dies.
20 mph or more....

have you checked for any codes???

154 is the only flash code it threw.

let me check

It seems to stay running a little longer after the truck sits for longer periods of time. I'm trying not to buy a new alternator if it's not the problem. I had it tested at a alternator shop a couple of weeks ago and the said was good. But 3 batteries were bad and 1 really low. It still did it after I changed the batteries and cleaned the corrosion off the 3 little fuse wires connected to the positive battery terminal.
A few days later it magically stop and just resumed last night on a oil well delivery in the middle of no where.

was the reading you gave me for the charge rate a reading now or a couple weeks ago???

That's the current charge rate
Technician: go-west.., Technician replied 7 months ago
go-west..
go-west.., Technician

good evening

does it actually say low voltage on the display?

I ended up buying a new alternator because of the urgency of my situation. It originally said low voltage on the display before I replaced the alternator. It doesn't say low voltage any more but it's still dieing and flashing stop engine. I also change the oil pressure sensor today because it looked like it was moving more than normal but the new sensor freaked out and read 100 then 60 ,bouncing around for a few minutes before it settled down to normal range. The water temp started bouncing around also. The alternator gauge is about 13.9. I also tried turning the ignition key off and back on 10 times. I was told it would clear the computer fault codes. Doesn't seem to have done any good.
Ok
If the voltage issue is good we will leave it
If the stop engine light is coming on. All it can be is
Oil pressure low
Coolant level low
Coolant temp high
When it shut off does the tach freeze or drop to zero?
I'm wondering if the ecm is loosing power
Please make sure the fuse is tight in the pdm infront of the passenger..
The oil gauge drops straight to zero. What is a pdm?
I checked all fuses in the fuse box. They are tight. Which one in particular is it.
Would say engine ecm
Pdm=power distribution module or fuse box
If the female terminals in the pdm are loose at all for that fuse. It'll be a problem
Oil pressure drops to zero then red engine light comes on?
stop engine light comes on
Ecm fuses are good and snug
I take it there is series 60 engine in the chassis
If so and if the sensor has been done the next step is the harness,
Have you done any other checks like
Oil level and quality checks?
It's a B 14 Cummings select plus. I started it a few minutes ago and it died after 2 minutes of idle. Active code Eng Fuel shutoff. Sgt. lo 128s017 came on display
Sorry N14 celect plus. Auto correction error.
Are you familiar with that engine shut off solenoid?
It's at the back of the fuel pump, has a single wire going to it
There should be resistance through it when you check it
Is it way to bypass and test to see if the truck will stay running?
Never have bypassed it
I'd have to say no,
Did you ohm it out?
I don't. Have a meter. I'm stranded in a small town and been having to catch cabs back and forth to the local NAPA. 100 miles from ODESSA where I would even be able to get the part. That's why I asked about I bypass so I could try and drive there.