Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2007 volvo vnl with a cummins isx cm870 in the shop

Customer Question
right now, truck will idle...
I have a 2007 volvo vnl with a cummins isx cm870 in the shop right now, truck will idle for 10 mins then shut down, speedo cluster will turn off and no accessories will work. I turn key off and back on and truck will start again. Doesn't mater if the pto is on or engine off but key on, still turns off. Idle shut down is disabled with cummins insite.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/17/2017
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 1 month ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there . My name is ***** ***** Do you have any faults when this occurs? What is the engine serial number please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No faults , i can get the serial number tomarrow

sounds like the ignition is turning off by itself . Would that be correct to say ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea something like that
I would start by going to ignition pin at the ECM which is pin 39 on the Chassis side connector to the ECM and back probe it with a multimeter to see what is happening while running to confirm that this is the case and voltage is dropping causing it to turn off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I jumped the ignition switch and truck still turns off. Ill back probe pin 39 and see what happens.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I back probed pin 9 and with key on engine off i see 12.2v after couple mins i loose voltage on that pin and everything turns off
Did u mean 39
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thats what i meant.
Ok so the problem lies in the OEM harness on the truck somewhere . Perhaps try swapping ignition relays with some from other ciruits to see if the problem clears up
Or start it up and run it ! While running it , wiggle test the harness to see if it does on you while wiggling at a specific area . That will help narrow down where the problem may be
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I jumped pin 39 to constant 12v and trucks stays running but the speedo and other things still turn off after 10mins.. strange

Whatever powers that 39 , those other circuits are powered by that same power source that is casuing the power loss

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can the TAS switch have anything to do with it?

what is a TAS

pin 39 gets power from a 5 amp fuse .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Never mind the tas, I added a ground to relay r20 (idle management ignition) and truck stays on

if you were to find an alternate ignition source , you could run an overlay from that point with an inline fuse holder with a 5 amp fuse in it and wire it into the existing wire at pin 39 .

Oh ok ... Thanks for the update . If we are done here , please do not forget to rate my service to you . Thank you

How are we doing on this ?

Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician