Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2000 mack cx613 460 vision with an eaton fuller…

I have a 2000 mack...
I have a 2000 mack cx613 460 vision with an eaton fuller RTAO 167110CAS ultra shift transmission. It is fine when cold (for about 2 hours) then it gets stuck in 10th gear, have to depress clutch, coast to stop, shut off, cycle key to get it in neutral. Then it won't go in any gear unless I wait 10 min or so, then usually it will not upshift from 2nd. sometimes it takes it hours to work and then its stuck in 10th again once it gets going. It seems to work ok if there is no trailer on it and if you add weight to the trailer it gets worse. Checked wiring for chafing, has reman ecm, just installed input shaft sensor and start enable relay.
When it is cold in the morning, or whenever you start out, there are no codes but when it starts messing up the 17 code comes back until the next day
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/15/2017
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Hi, my name is ***** ***** for your question.I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Sorry I see you said code 17 be right back

I loaded trouble shooting for code 17 below

As you know this won't cause your issue but still needs to be addressed just keep in mind

Now first thing you need to do is check power supply to TCU (trans computer)

Low voltage can keep it stuck in gear and also cause code 17

The power supply comes directly from batteries so start by cleaning all battery terminals and cables then check the inline fuse holder for TCU inside battery box for any corrosion if any replace it and make up new connection at battery to fuse holder

check for rubbed out spots on power harness from batts to TCU and repair as needed.

All the problems point to low voltage

Any problems let me know I'm happy to assist!
Please use the star rating system at top of page so I get credit from the web site for my time,
You may still ask follow up questions at no extra charge after rating.
Thank you

power supply wiring

spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
I have cleaned the battery connections a couple of days ago and checked voltage at the source, I have not checked it at the ecu however. does the power feed to the ecu in the footwell on the passenger side or on the unit attached to the transmission? I also have not found a fuse.

Check for inline fuse by starter, the trans computer needs direct battery power and starter is considered direct power source

Checking voltage is good but you need to either load test power wire while checking voltage or for test purposes run a new power source with fuse and see how it works.

To load test wires you need a headlight or similar load device and hook up to plug at trans ecu and leave on for about half hour to make sure light dose not dim, if it does trace wire back to find issue

Thank you for the positive rating very much appreciated.
Please come back again you may ask for me if you like.
Take care
spanky

I have discovered after breaking down 10 or 15 times on the way to Miami from upstate NY that the transmission is overheating which is causing the problems. While stuck in rush hour traffic in Miami yesterday (Transmission stuck in 9th gear) then wouldn't go in gear at all, I realized the floor was pretty hot so I removed the floor pan and literally poured water on the top of the transmission. It was so hot it steamed. After it cooled down, it worked perfectly as it does in the morning for the first couple of hours. Today I will investigate the cooling system and oil level.

Also check trans cooler to make sure fins are not plugged and no leaks

Check radiator fins also

If you got a overheat code for trans you could also have a bad trans temp sensor if oil and coolant system checks out

spankyjr1
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman