Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2003 peterbuilt tachometer.. the truck had a cat…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 peterbuilt...
I have a 2003 peterbuilt tachometer.. the truck had a cat motor in it & ive changed to a 12.7 Detroit . I need to know how to set the dip switches on the tachometer. Was told the Detroit setting ratio is 12:1..
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/11/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is the model chassis and make gauges you have in your truck to be sure you get the correct info?

It's an 03 379 Pete. Accutach gauge. I went from a 6nz cat to a 12.7 Detroit. My laptop is showing rpms. But tach is only showing 200 when throttled up. It's has 8 dipswitches on the back
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Try this and let me know if it matches the tach you have.

DIP Switch Configuration - Tachometer
- The number 4, 5, and 6
switch positions on the right bank are for programming the tachometer RPM
settings. These settings are based on engine model and flywheel gear teeth per
revolution and are shown in the Tachometer DIP Switch Settings Chart.

Tachometer DIP Switch Settings Chart

Switch Position

Teeth Per Revolution

Engine or Output

4

5

6

-

-

1

1

0

103

Cummins

0

0

1

113

Caterpillar

1

0

1

118

Detroit Diesel

0

1

1

138

International

1

0

0

173

Cummins B (Export) (C92 Rev.)

DIP Switch Configuration - Tachometer Range
- The number seven
switch is to set the tachometer range scale. This switch is always set to the
"0" position for 0-3500 RPM readings.

If different let me know if the tach has any identifying numbers or labels on the back or face of the gauge

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.