Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2000 c10 in a freightliner fld120. Pulled ecm, bench tested…

2000 c10 in a freightliner...
2000 c10 in a freightliner fld120. Pulled ecm, bench tested at a caterpillar shop, ecm tested good. Reinstalled ecm in truck, still will not start.
Have 12v going into pin 70, verified multiple times in multiple ways. Already checked the grounds in the ecm plug and throughout the truck and engine. Replaced the fuel filter assembly to an updated assembly and new filter. 3 new batteries.
Now, with all that said, the truck will not start. I hooked a scanner up to the obd port, only shows one module and one code, abs sensor. When you crank the motor, it rolls over fine, will fire with a little ether but only with ether. Have cranked long enough to show oil pressure.
Cat shop showed me the only ecm code was fuel temp sensor out of range. Whole cranking there engine, I get no response from the Rach. I have no check engine or stop engine lights.
I can not understand how I can have a good ecm that is getting power, but the cat shop tells me it's the truck itself not getting power to the ecm. Yet, the freightliner shop tells me its the ecm and not the truck side but the engine not sending ecm info to the truck. I don't want to haul the damn thing to a shop because I feel that neither place knows any more than i do right now because each one is telling me a its the other guys fault to put it in a simple summary.
10/5/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 4 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
So when you turn the key to the on position, the yellow check engine light does not come on?
That is correct. The cat shop tells me it's because the ecm isn't getting power, i have verified it is getting power. The freightliner shop tells me its because the ecm is bad, the ecm tested good at cat on the bench
Thanks for the information.If the yellow check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to the on position and the engine will not start, there are only 2 things that can cause this.The first and most common is the engine ECM is not getting the correct power and ground to function. The ECM should have power on pins 52, 53, and 70 of the rear most ECM connector. This is the truck side harness connector. 70 is the key switch wire. The grounds are on pins 65 and 67. You can remove the connector and check for power on these pins. If you do not have power on these pins, you most likely have a blown fuse in the electrical system. I would check all fuses first. I also like to use the Cat Power bypass harness when I suspect a Power or ground issue.If you do have correct power and ground to the ECM, you most likely have a failed ECM. I have seen this many times over the years. To confirm the ECM is bad, you would need to install a known good ECM on the engine or you can take the ECM to the dealer to be tested. Unfortunately the ECM cannot be repaired. Replacement is the only option. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.
If the dealer can communicate with the ecm and read codes. Most often it means the ecm is good. However. The only true way to know if it’s the ecm is to install it on a known good running engine.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
I figured I'd get the standard response. I have checked all the stated pins for power and ground. I already stated that. Altorfer cat verified the ecm is live and good. asked and answered. So I'm back to where I started not knowing
Have you load tested the power wires to the ecm?
Load tested? Pin 70 is the only one that has 12v, correct? The others are a lower voltage and I'll have to go back through my notes to find out myself. But pin 70 is 12v and I've gone so far as to remove that pin from the ecm plug and crimp a new gold pin on a wire to run into the ecm plug direct to the battery just to eliminate the possibility of a power problem.Is it possible that there's a sensor, like the cam timing sensor, that could be creating a fault in the self test and not allowing it to do whatever it needs to do and basically locking the ecm out?
Lousy way to explain a question but I'm frustrated with this
Just because a wire shows 12 volts with a meter does not guarantee the wire can carry a load.
You need 12 volts on pins 52 and 53. 70 is the key switch wire that should have 12 volts.
I'm tracking with you in the load test now, I ran a separate line to avoid the possibility of the lounge not having enough capacity through corrosion and time to not carry the load.
The mechanic at cat told me that 70 was the only 12v power and the others were like 7(?) volt until it was actually running. Is that correct or did my dumb ass misunderstand?
He is dead wrong. The ecm needs at least 7.5 volts on each pin to function correctly. You needs that 12 volts on 52,53,70.
Ok, it's more likely that I heard wrong or wrote it down wrong. So if there's 12 volts on 52 and 53, where does the 2 pins get their power from? Are they switched on the key or do you know? In other words, can i tap into those 2 as well to power directly like I did pin 70?
Normally pins 52 and 53 are unswitched 12 volt power from the batteries with a fuse. Keyswitch 70 is from the ignition switch.
Ok. I will checkwhen I can get to it. Thank you
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
I apologize if I came across snotty earlier, I checked my notes and those 2 pins were explained to me as low voltage, only I wrote being low voltage and not check for low voltage. That was the problem. Nearly corroded in two and was only getting 7 volts. Thank you for all your help and I will keep this open for now until I make a test drive to make sure there isn't any other issues
No problem at all my friend. I am happy to help. Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert