Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 6NZ cat that has coolant in the oil. when the truck…

Customer Question
I have a 6NZ...

I have a 6NZ cat that has coolant in the oil. when the truck was running it was burping oil out the dipstick tube. we drained the crankcase and got 65 liters of coolant/oil mix. the coolant is also full of oil. there is oil in the air filters as well. thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Engine model # 6nz11526. the engine is in a western star 4900

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this point

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/2/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 months ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
The most common cause of this is a failed engine oil cooler. When they fail, they will out oil in the coolant while running. The when shut off and the oil pressure goes to 0. The coolant goes into the oil. I see this a lot.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
That's what I was thinking. I ordered a new cooler. Hoping it shows up today. How would oil get into the air cleaner?
Thanks for the information.
Other than oil being pushed from the radiator and somehow making it to the air cleaner. The only other way I've seen oil in the air filter is from a turbo failure. It's not very common to see oil in the air cleaner.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.