Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

The truck came back the driver said it has been doing the…

Customer Question
the truck came back the...
the truck came back the driver said it has been doing the same thing , we did get the ecm back from Cat and installed it , we kind of knew it was not the ecm as we put one in from another truck , but the driver needed to use truck so he took it we have it for 2 days until he needs it again any other thoughts
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/2/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 7 months ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Can you elaborate on the problem you are having?
we had about 10 back and fourth with you on this Cat engine we have 2 fault codes that come on when temp gets to 180 degrees they are 42-11 and 168-2, we replaced the harness from the batteries to the ecm ( came complete with new fuse and holder along with the relay so that is all new from batteries to the ecm , we also replaced the icp sensor , same problem , then you said possible the harness to the icp we replaced it as well, then you thought possible ecm , we sent it out and we had another truck here with a close serial number and put it on temporary and we had the same issue. Truck starts and runs fine take it on the hiway and more when it is loaded it will skip and cough then stop and run fine. It must be getting worse as now even at the shop if we let run up to temp and then put the pedal to the floor we get a quick cough . We have Cat et on it now with the ecm we got back from Cat ( said it was fine) and when we floor it a couple of times the ecm voltage drops to 1.8 -2 volts like i said we all ready replaced the harness from batteries to ecm , new batteries new battery cables . We tried wiggling all of the harnesses and can not get it to cough at all only ( when sitting still ) when we matt the pedal it will cough for a split second but on the road the cough lasts 10-15 seconds at a time and only happens at 180 plus degrees , we also replaced the throttle pedal assembly .
Oh yeah I remember. Sorry about that
This is very strange. In all my years the only things I have seen cause a 42-11 is a bad iapcv, bad harness, or ecm. I'm beginning to wonder if you got a bad out of the box iapcv, or somehow the Heui pump is causing it.
not sure how they test the ecm but like i said it happens only at 180 degrees or above, and if it were the heui it should not go away it would usally continue to cough , we thought the split second drop in voltage to 1.8-2 volts would cause the hiccup but we replaced all of the harnesses to the ecm from battery. How exactly does the ecm get it's voltage, if it comes directly from battery how would it loose is for a split second and so drastically , what does the relay in the harness control or controlled by , does ecm power go through anything or is it direct battery all the time
Thanks for the information.
Yes it's direct feed of voltage from the battery. You could try running your own wires directly from the battery and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you'll know it's the 12 voltage supply.
any other thoughts on issue. Was just playing with it, we had accuator fault code happen 12 times and ecm voltage fault only 1
If they both are happening. I definitely would want to run my own power and ground wires to the ecm from the battery.
we are running external power and ground now , it does not make sense that actuator happens 12 times and ecm voltage drop 1 time and being related are there maybe 2 issues?
I agree. Very strange. However some codes log instantly. But Others have a delay. Meaning, the 164 is an instant code. As soon as the ecm sees it. It logs it. I assume the 168 code does not log instantly.
it seems to set the 42-11 code everytime the engine coughs but not the168 code
Thanks for the information. Yeah everything I've ever had a 42-11 code. It's always either the iapcv, harness, or ecm. Since all of that has been replaced. I can only assume that the power or ground to the ecm is faulty. Or somehow the Heui pump is causing an overload.
how could we test heui
Unfortunately the only way would be to change it. Maybe you can use the Heui of the engine you used the ecm off of.
that truck belonged to the customer and he is using it every day since this truck is scaring him he does not take it far when he does take it. We ran a power and ground direct from battery no change. What are the chances it is the heui pump we have replaced and spent a lot on this truck all ready and we are going to have to eat most of the cost as everything we have done has not fixed the problem . Still not sure if the 2 codes are related
Thanks for the information.
This is highly irregular. 42-11 codes are caused by ecm, harness, or iapcv. I have not ever seen a Heui cause this but not ruling it out as the cause.
back with same issue , new heui pump , new regulator , new rail pressure sensor, factory re programed ecm same 42-11 code
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 6 months ago
Thanks for the information. That is very strange. I only must suspect you have a new defective part. You’ve already replaced everything that can cause a 42-11
Pump came with new regulator as well that is 3
Could there be an injector problem or injector seal
I see. No an injector problem will not cause a 42-11.
i should replace all of the sensors, regulator , ecm and huei pump again 1 at a time ?
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert