Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2011 freightliner cascadia, it has a surge at idle.

Customer Question
The rail pressure ramps up...
I have a 2011 freightliner cascadia, it has a surge at idle. The rail pressure ramps up then goes back and keeps doing this until above 950 rpm. No codes and just had a shop replace the fuel filters and quantity valve on back of pump. Any help would be great thanks
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
It’s a dd15 also forgot to mention that
10/1/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What are you getting for fuel pressures and also if installing a clear hose on the suction and return side inline are you seeing any air bubbles?

At a idle on desired it says 450 bar but the actual flucatues anywhere from 200 to 500 bar. Where do I need to put the clear hose.Thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi, Sorry for the delay. I was away for the weekend with family. The hose or sight glass is on the suction side between the tank and pump and on the return going back to tank to monitor for air bubbles.

Is it easier to make my own or does freightliner have a part number for them? Your fine thanks for the help
If there is no air in the suction or return what would be the next step also?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

You can use clear hose from any hardware store and adapt it inline. If there is air on the suction side then we need to determine where the leaks are allowing air in the system. If none on the suction but on the return side you could have an injector causing the problem/ or injector o rings... The DD15 has had common issues with idle surge and there has yet to be a good solution to this problem. First lets see if there is air getting into the system causing problems.

Alright I’ll get some tomorrow, so I should just hook them both up to one tank?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

That would be the most accurate. I would hook them both into even a separate bucket of fuel which would isolate the engine from both tanks and see if there is still an issue.

I just tried the truck now and I don’t see any air in the fuel on suction side or return. Sometimes I can get it to surge and sometimes I can’t. It also has a code for engine crankcase breather oil separator speed low number 5444 number 1
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

SPN 5444/FMI 1 - ALL YEARS
This diagnostic is typically the Engine Crankcase Breather Oil Separator Speed too Low
1. Inspect the crankcase oil separator vent for oil leakage.
a. If oil leakage is present, replace the crankcase breather. Refer to section "Removal of the Crankcase Breather".
b. If no oil leakage is present, Go to step 2.
2. Disconnect the crankcase breather speed sensor harness connector and inspect for bent, spread, or corroded pins.
a. If pin damage is found, repair as necessary.
b. If no pin damage is found, Go to step 3.
3. Remove the crankcase breather speed sensor from the oil separator and clean any debris or contamination from the
sensor and mounting cavity.
4. Turn the ignition ON (key ON, engine OFF).
5. Measure the voltage between pins 1 and 3 of the crankcase breather speed sensor harness connector. Is the voltage
between 4.5 and 5.0 volts.
a. Yes; Go to step 7.
b. No, Go to step 6.
6. Measure the voltage between pin 1 of the crankcase breather speed sensor harness connector and ground. Is the voltage
between 4.5 and 5.0 volts?
a. Yes; repair wire between pin 3 of the crankcase breather speed sensor harness connector and pin 102 of the MCM
120-pin connector.
b. No; repair wire between pin 1 of the crankcase breather speed sensor harness connector and pin 58 of the MCM
120-pin connector.
7. Turn the ignition OFF.
8. Disconnect the MCM 120-pin connector.
9. Measure the resistance between pin 2 of the crankcase breather speed sensor harness connector and pin 49 of the MCM
120-pin connector. Is the resistance less than 3 ohms?
a. Yes; Go to step 10.
b. No, repair wire between pin 2 of the crankcase ventilator speed sensor harness connector and pin 49 of the MCM
120-pin connector.
10. Measure the resistance between pin 2 of the crankcase breather speed sensor harness connector and ground. Is the
resistance greater than 10K ohms?
a. Yes; replace the crankcase breather speed sensor. To remove the crankcase breather speed sensor, Refer to
section "Removal of the Crankcase Breather". Reconnect harness. Go to step 11.
b. No; repair short to ground between pin 2 of the crankcase breather speed sensor harness connector and pin 49 of
the MCM 120-pin connector.
WARNING: ENGINE EXHAUST
To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area.
Engine exhaust is toxic.
WARNING: PERSONAL INJURY
To avoid injury before starting and running the engine, ensure the vehicle is parked on a level
surface, parking brake is set, and the wheels are blocked.
11. Start engine, and monitor AS131: Crankcase Oil Separator Speed; increase engine speed to 1500 rpm. Does the
crankcase breather speed rise above 5000 rpm?
a. Yes, clear fault and release vehicle.
b. No, retain log file showing CCV speed and contact the Detroit Customer Support Center at(###) ###-####

Is there any data I can read off the scanner to help with finding out what’s going on with the surge?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Check your fuel pressure and your Delta P and EGR circuit operation. Click below

Troubleshooting

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson