Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My n14 every once in a while the stop engine light comes on…

Customer Question
My n14 every once in...
My n14 every once in a while the stop engine light comes on it's the red one and when it comes on I set my timer on my phone my stopwatch and it stays on for approximately 24 minutes I lose no power nothing changes drives normal the ligh shuts off and it's good to go however if I shut it off while that stop Engine light is on it will not start but if I leave the key on the on position for 24 minutes the light shuts off and it'll start and run normal
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/29/2017
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Did a mechanic test this to find out that the ECM is the problem?

Let me know so we can continue, thanks Pete.

he said the code was saying it's the ECM. And I do not have the code. But Cummings in Illinois said it sound like a ground problem

I apologize for the delay as I was offline the last couple of days.

Since this is a fault that occurs for about 24 minutes each time this sounds more computer controlled.This can be the ECM itself at fault as it can act up/fail like this here.It is possible it is a ground issue but usually if this was a ground fault the issue would occur at all times.

If it was tested and found that the ecm is the cause then I would have the ecm replaced to resolve this issue.It can act up intermittently like your seeing here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete