Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I would like to open a ticket with Cat Man, Caterpillar

Customer Question
Hi, I would like to...
Hi, I would like to open a ticket with Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert. Is He available?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 months ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
What can I help you with?
Morning, I have a 2008 F650 with C7, crank no start. I own and car dealership. We work on cars and do have Alldata and Identifix. I can not get float charts or diagrams for F650. I read one of your older threads and would like you to walk us through this repair.
Thanks for the information.
Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?
No check engine light on Key On
Thanks for the information.If the yellow check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to the on position and the engine will not start, there are only 2 things that can cause this.The first and most common is the engine ECM is not getting the correct power and ground to function. The ECM should have power on pins 52, 53, and 70 of the rear most ECM connector. This is the truck side harness connector. 70 is the key switch wire. The grounds are on pins 65 and 67. You can remove the connector and check for power on these pins. If you do not have power on these pins, you most likely have a blown fuse in the electrical system. I would check all fuses first.If you do have correct power and ground to the ECM, you most likely have a failed ECM. I have seen this many times over the years. To confirm the ECM is bad, you would need to install a known good ECM on the engine or you can take the ECM to the dealer to be tested. Unfortunately the ECM cannot be repaired. Replacement is the only option. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Will check. Little more info for you. I just purchased this truck at the auction from NY State. It has 24k miles. "Emissions" was a noted defect. On the right step area it looks like they installed a possible aftermarket DPF. It looks new and connectors and wirering on it looks new as well. Some one suggested that State installed DPF because truck was used at the prison facility. They think, that is what preventing ECM from sending fuel. We are checking ground and power on the pins you suggested. I had it plugged in to the scanner when purchased: it communicated with ABS and I think Air Bag, but did not communicate with the engine.
Thanks for the information.
If you can. Get me the engine serial number. If it starts with C7S. It came with a dpf.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Engine # 7CPXH0442H1K
VIN 3FRNF65P38V575597
I would love to get wiring diagrams. How many fuse boxes are on this truck?
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I only have engine info sorry.
Those appear to be vin numbers for the truck. The engine serial will be only 8 characters. Does three are letters. Rest are number s.
I attached an images of the vin sticker on the door and sticker on the engine.
Thanks for the information.
Yes that's a C7S. This engine came with a dpf system.
We get busy in the shop and it seems that ECM is hard to reach on this one. We will get to it next week and I will continue talking with you then.
10-4. Sounds good.