Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2006 f750 forestry truck with a ranger xt70 boom.

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 f750 forestry truck with a hi ranger xt70 boom. Gears on turret are stripped broken. Any ballpark on fix?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Can not get that information right now it's dark

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing myself just trying to get a feel on cost. I am assuming boom will need to be liftin

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Does boom have to be removed to replace ring gear on torrent or is it a 2 piece part

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 2 days by:
9/30/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Tim, My name is***** do not have parts prices to help as I am a technician , but you will need the new ring gear and possible a pinion gear if that is damaged too on the gearbox. The upper section needs to be lifted and supported by a shop hoist or crane after disconnection all rotary manifold hoses, etc and capping them off as well as tagging them. All mounting bolts to the gear/bearing need to be removed while supported safely with a hoist. another forklift/telehandler/etc is needed to R and R the gear into position. If the pinion is needed, that gearbox will be disassembled and pretty much the same labor as a rebuild. Im estimating around 4-5 days of work here plus parts if you need the gearbox done too. 2-3 days just the gear.