Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Do you have any info on a 16AS2601 trans in an Iveco truck?

Customer Question
Do you have any...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your transmissions?

Just checking the trans code is 16AS2601 and is a 16 speed box that is shifted automatically by computer in a Iveco truck with a Curser 13 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No scan tool but codes are 18 with 4 bars 78 with 4 bars 71 70 76 73

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Transmission Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I believe from what I have read the bars indicate higher numbers like 178 I'm a retired truck mechanic and yes I drive it casually for a friend and also do some maintenance on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At the moment it will not show the neutral symbol so it will not select a gear just flashes CH on the screen.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
The month and year of the truck is 06/03 . I have down loaded and printed several manuals on the trans and are unable to find some of the codes this vehicle is displaying in them. I'm told that the info may not be relevant to this particular vehicle. The vin Number is ***** Eng. F3BEO681A.
I have tried to add a video of the codes but cannot get it small enough to send so I have just being back out to truck and rechecked codes and they are as follows. 4 bars on left of number 18, 4 bars on left of number 08, 4 bars on left of number 80, 4 bars on left of number 78, 92, 26, 4 bars on left of number 54, 33, 4 bars on left of number 99, 91. The information I have being given is that 4 bars on the left of the number indicates it is in the 100's and 4 bars with up and down arrows on the left of the number indicates it is in the 200's. example the 4 bars on the left of the 18 would be 118.
9/27/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Please give me some time to look into this information and I will follow up.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

You are correct as fr as the 4 bars adding 100, etc

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

108 Error in operation or jogging
switch (travel switch)
- X X - General function (also without active errors): following ignition off/on a gear can only be
shifted, if the rotary switch was previously in the neutral position. Error reaction depends
on the travel status and whether a gear is engaged. 1. Error at "jogging" lever: no shift
possible during travel. When stopped, the starting gear, which was selected by the rotary
switch, is engaged. Travel possible with starting gear thus selected (forwards and
reverse). 2. Error at rotary switch: if gear is engaged during travel, no gear shift is
possible. When stopped the transmission shifts to the last known (stored) gear. Travel
possible with selected starting gear. If the transmission was shifted to “N” prior to the
error occurring, no gear shift is possible. Further travel not possible. Following ignition off
a shift to "N" always occurs
Valid travel switch neutral
signal (rotary switch at
neutral) or ECU without
power

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

118 Clutch does not disengage - X X X Travel: gear shift is blocked. Standstill: clutch disengages when vehicle comes to a stop.
When stopped, transmission automatically shifts to neutral. No further shifts possible.
Further travel not possible.
ECU without power.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

I have to head out on the road. Im going to help you with the list.Click the link below to access it and we can follow up as needed. Let me know.

Troubleshooting/codes

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, your response has somehow gone to my old email address which I vary rarely check so when I had not had a response out of curiosity I have just checked it. This vehicle does not have the rotary switch, just the shifter with the neutral button on the left hand side of the knob and the auto forward button on the right hand side of the knob, if the lever is pushed forward it will select forward gears and can be operated manually and tapped up or down by moving the lever forwards or backwards, a gentle part push in either direction will give a single gear change or all the way will give 2 gears change. Lift the ring and pull back gives reverse. As I think I mentioned earlier I'm a retired truck mechanic that just does a bit of local causal truck driving to and from the Port here with logs or ingots and this is the truck I normally drive and have being for approx. 18 months. The problem now is it just flashes CH when ignition is turned on and started and no matter how long you leave it running this is all it will do. By turning it off and starting with neutral button held in it will show LN and if lever pushed forward it will go into forward gears but will not engage the clutch and same for reverse, even the reverse alarm beeps but no clutch engagement. This was a gradual deterioration it just harder and longer to get it to show N and the more you messed with it the worse it got. The clutch is only about 30,000km old and the actuator in also new as well as the wiring loom to the actuator as it is part of it. The loom from the left hand side of the cab fuse box to the trans is also new, all plugs have being cleaned with contact cleaner, dried and all pins checked. All relays at the shifter and main fuse box on the left hand side of the cab have being swapped from another going vehicle. The 2 can bus plugs in the trans loom have also being cleaned and checked. The breather on the trans has being dismantled cleaned and checked, and air pressure to the shifters has also being checked. I have being working on various trucks and mobile cranes off and on for almost 40 years as well as carried out PLC installation and programing on some very unique belly dump wood chip trailers that were Noske Logistics but now Kelly's from Tasmania and work too and from the Port of Portland, these are Paulger Controls from Alan in Brisbane via Ashdown-Ingram Tullamarine. By the way my name is***** and I appreciate any help as I seem to be the only person this side of Geelong that has ever got over involved in an Iveco.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Thanks for the update Geoff. I would take a close look at the transmission Modules power and ground circuit and verify battery voltage and proper ground for a loss of either. Also it is possible of a software related issue requiring getting software updates from the dealer if no wiring or other issues are found. Let me know