Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

The def gauge is stuck on empty but the tank is full. I

Customer Question
The def gauge is...

The def gauge is stuck on empty but the tank is full. I assume

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2014 dodge 3500 Laramie. 6.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

We've cleared the codes, none of which pertained to the level of def or anything else related to the def system. So far that's all we've done. After clearing the code it drove about 25 miles and the gauge went from full to empty and we got another limo mode message.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

The gauge will work occasionally but then just go to empty. We drove about 1500 miles with a full tank of def. the full def message came on and the gauge went to empty. It help about 1/2 a gallon at the most when we tried to refill the def tank.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/26/2017
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 10 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

what codes did you clear???

Are you there?

yes I am here waiting for an answer to my request

No I don't want a $26 phone call.

that is the site sending all that stuff, not me

what about the def gauge stuck on empty?
I don't see any request from you

thats why I a asking for the codes, it will lead me in the right direction.

my previous question

ok

what codes did you clear???

it could be the header in the tank or wiring

Roy

I don't recall the exact code... maybe P035... not positive. That was a few days ago..
We had a few codes but most were related to a bad battery we replaced about a month ago. When I looked up the P code it was an unclassified code was all it said.
Are you still there?
Hello???

if it comes back I need that code.

Yes, I am here. please be patient. we are answering many questions

a lot of times the header is the issue for the def tank, the calcification builds up in the tank and restricts the readings.

check the connections at the top of the tank for any damage pins. also if anyone spilled def on the top of the tank and it hit the connector, the wire harness is damaged.

Roy

Where is that located? The def tank...

have you never filled th tank with def fluid??? let me check. it is either on the lft frame rail or rear

Roy

look for the cap marked def only.

Roy

I know where that is... the only way to spill def on top of the def tank would be from under the truck. There is no wiring harness on the top of that tank either.

there should be a header. that is like a fuel module in a fuel tank. it has a hose for the def and a connector for the unit.

let me get a picture

Roy