Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My shifter is leaking air when i put the truck in high

Hi My shifter is...

Hi My shifter is leaking air when i put the truck in high range, I replaced the shifter knob but its still doing it

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well the clutch has just been replaced and the problem started, so i bought a new shifter knob as thats were the air is leaking installed it but still the same problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats about it

9/23/2017
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

remove the boot at the bottom of the shifter. the lines go down to a valve. there are 2 small lines and a large line. make sure there is no leak at that area. if the leak is not at that area then it is the range cylinder in the trans.

Roy

the leak is coming from the shifter Knob itself, as soon as i put it in high it starts leaking

did you replace the lines as well??

no, it happened when the clutch was replaced

check the lines down to the valve I told you about. sounds like you will be replacing one or both of the lines.

if you had the clutch replaced they should do this repair for you as it was part of the repair procedure/

Roy

roybelding
thanks will try this

thank you