Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2004 mbn 475 that does not impress me Boost is 29…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 mbn 475 that does not impress me Boost is 29 egt is 900 still no power burns a lot of fuel are these normal ranges on gauges

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Dont have these number in front of me will get them and reply back

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No will wait to have number

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/22/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 11 months ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Yeah the boost and exhaust temp should be a little higher than that. Around 35 Psi boost and around 1050 exhaust.I would suspect 1 of 2 things are causing your problem.The first is low fuel pressure. If there is a low fuel pressure problem, the check engine light will not come on and the engine will have low power. Your engine should maintain a fuel pressure between 75 and 90 psi. There is a plug beside of the secondary fuel filter that is used to check the pressure. If it is low, I would first try the fuel filters if you haven’t already. If it is still low, you may have a failed fuel pressure regulator, which is located underneath the bottom of the filter housing. I have replaced a ton of these for low fuel pressure. It is kinda a known problem. You could also have a weak fuel transfer pump or restricted hand primer pump, if your engine has one.Second I would suspect you have a low boost condition. This can be caused by a leak in the air piping or air to air aftercooler on the truck. I would first inspect all of the piping to see if there is a hole in any of the rubber boots that hold the pipes. From there you may want to cap off one side of the air to air cooler, and pressurize it. They have been known to crack and leak and cause low boost.Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions.
would the torque setting of the engine have a lot to do with how it pulles hills this is old lease truck so setting may be on the low side I am second owner
MBN 19180 ECM 236705 PERF 0k5009 AR-NC (###) ###-####
Thanks for the information.
It's possible the fuel settings can be off and cause low power. The only way to know would be to look up the settings and change them if there are wrong.
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 months ago
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.