Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

It is a 2002 gillig bus. 2002 cummins. It is a bus and the…

Customer Question
It is a 2002...

It is a 2002 gillig bus

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2002 cummins

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is a bus and the fire alarm is going off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

This disables all airventilation

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/22/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What were the chain of events that lead up to this alarm going off? Please post the VIN and any other identifying information for this bus such as chassis model info.

the bus is a 2002 gillig transit bus ISM 280 vin # 15gcd211421111256. Sunday morning heavy rain and I got an error light saying check transmission. system went out of gear. I checked transmission fluid and at full level. shut down vehicle and restarted light was out and drove 45 miles home and no problem. Started bus wednesday afternoon and left on high idle came back and fire alarm was on. shut down 2 times and no fire alarm. thursday replaced hydraulic fluid very black restarted bus as soon as ignition switch is on fire alarm restarted fire alarm still on
the engine #(###) ###-####fam# *****
CPL# *****
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

Thanks for the update. If there is an error light there will be fault codes logged in the ECM or TCM memory. Have the codes retrieved so we know what faults are logged. Now this fire alarm is a smoke detector in the living quarters of the Bus? Or are you calling a warning buzzer a fire alarm that is going off due to its audible signal and it is indicating an engine or transmission fault?

I have both the Audible alarm and the dash error light as soon as the system has power up. There are not any smoke detectors this is still a passenger vehicle.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

Thanks for clarifying. The term fire alarm threw me off a little. So this is an audible warning for a fault in the engine or transmission. There will be likely codes logged in the ECM memory. A scan tool can pull these codes which will help isolate the problem area and circuit.

I fixed it thank you for your help
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago
Pleasure to help... Please remember to take a moment and rate my answer as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site.5 star and bonuses are greatly appreciated