Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a problem with isx15 cm2250. After starting the

Customer Question
Hi, I have a problem...
Hi, I have a problem with isx15 cm2250.
After starting the truck, runs for 5 secondsand then it starts to missfire and blow alot of white smoke from exhaust.
Cylinder cut out test performed first 3 cylinders are not responding.
No check engine light.
New engine harness. New Injector harness.
New injectors
New ecu
New camshaft, crankshaft sensors.
All sensors read normal activity
Fuel pressure is what ECU commands.
New high pressure pump.
Engine # 79594763
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/18/2017
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 9 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

the one thing I do not see and the most important is the compression. was this checked???

Cylinders holds compression.
Massive amounts of white smoke. If I cap off the fuel to the first 3 injectors. Then it only smokes a little. Maybe left over from before fuel. So the white smoke is unburnt fuel.

from that description it sounds like an injector issue. I would remove them and check the o rings for damage when they were installed and also do a vacuum test on the tips.

Roy

I installed new injectors. Same problem. So I put new O-rings and put the old injectors in. Because they were not the issue.

did you do a vacuum test???

I did not do a vaccum test. Because the new injectors it was the same problem. Also I forgot to mention I switched first 3 injectors with last three. And first cylinders still missfire while cylinder 4,5 and 6 work with the injectors from other cylinders. That is why I ruled out the injectors.

ok, then you have an issue with the cylinders.

start with a compression test. check and make sure there is no coolant leaking in there as well. white smoke can also be coolant.

Coolant has been at maximum since they brought this truck. And when I capped off the high pressure lines to the three injectors the smoke was almost gone.

there is something in the front 3 that is causing the smoke. if it was fuel related it would effect all 6.

it is going to be time to do some exploratory surgery to find out what has happened in those cylinders

Roy

Yeah, but why does it run like nothing is wrong for the first 4-8 seconds then slowly changes sound and starts to missfire and smoke like crazy...If it was in the head I would think it should do it right away when you start the engine. That is why I have not pulled the head off yet to see what is deeper.

remember, I am here and not there. some things I cannot answer unless I am right there next to you. that is a legitimate question as well but no matter what, you need to pull the head. I am sure once you have the head off, it will tell you a story of what is going on

Roy

I understand that. What is the right compression tester for these new motors?

it is a combo compression and leak down tester in 1. I dont know the model number. I can check when I go back tomorrow.

Roy

how are you making out

Compression on all cylinders between 525 to 580. So non of them are low...

what about the leak down especially on the first 3

Isx15 cm2250 from cummins does not even have a compression tester available. I had to fab my own. They measure blow by....no leak down tester available also. I'm stumped on this one.

take a look at this. we had this at our shop for testing the fuel passages in the head

http://www.sbintl.com/tech_library/tech_bulletins/TT00040_Cylinder%20Head%20Pressure%20Testing%20Caution%20on%201997_2017%20Cummins%2015_0L%20ISX%20Diesel%20Engines.pdf

Is this done with the head off? Can I test the fuel pasage way with the head still on?

no, the head has to be off

Do they mean the fuel return is split? Because fuel is fed to each injector.

possible but you have something wrong in the head for the first 3 cylinders.

Please take a moment and rate my service 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. We only get paid when you accept our answers

Roy

Before I pull the head I need a good reason to do it. Compression checks out I need to perform some other test to find a problem. Or I'm all out of tests?

you are out of tests.

The one think I noticed under sensors.
Precent load. Once it starts to missfire rrally bad it climbs up to 50% on idle
And OEM outside temperature sensor reads 300F.
Any idea why the load percent goes up so high vs other truck I saw max 15 on idle as it jumps around.

you have 3 cylinders that have a problem. thats the miss fire

the ambient temp sensor is out of range.

Roy