Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Having trouble getting power to my ECM. 1995 International…

Having trouble getting power...

Having trouble getting power to my ECM.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

1995 International with an M11

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well, It acted like it ran out of fuel and now we cant get it to fire at all. Replaced the ECM with another to try it. But still nothing. Hooking a scanner to it, its like the ECM isnt there which leads me to think it might not be getting power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am trying to locate a fuse that maybe in a different location than the main fuse box for the ECU. maybe a wiring diagram as well.

9/18/2017
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there .My name is ***** ***** Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ?

SC012522

you need to find connector C on the ECM . It looks like this :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtwcxfipgbvk5sa/conne.PNG?dl=0

It feeds battery power and ground from the chassis to the ECM

is connector C the lower one on the ECM?

Some of the wiring leaves that connector and goes to feed the injectors and some of the wiring leaves that connector and heads towards the battery box . Best to follow the wiring .

what am I looking for?

Well, start at the battery box and check the smaller wiring there . This is for Ecm power feed . Check there as there are inline fuses there - make sure the connections there and the fuses are ok

The only wires coming from the battery box are the ones going to the starter. The smaller ones have been unhooked for years.

Ok , from factory , that is where the ECM is supposed to grab power from . You will need to do some digging here and see where it is now grabbing power from . Perhaps on the firewall somewhere by the main cab fuse?

That is where we are all at. Trying to find out where it gets power from. It's really interestingly difficult to track that.

Best to start from connector C on the ECM and trace it back . Use the pic of the connector I sent you to confirm you have the correct one

Guess what?! Found a fuse close to the ecm in a way hard place to get. It was blown. Replaced it just now and it fired right up!!

Oh good find !

Happy to hear its up and running .

Seems to be running a bit rough and missing out a bit but running!

Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end ! Thanks .

Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician