Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2012 international workstar with maxxforce engine has no…

Customer Question
2012 international workstar with maxxforce...
2012 international workstar with maxxforce engine has no codes but 4 and 6 are missing with excessive smoke smells like raw fuel out exhaust. Cant tell much of difference when cut them two cylinders out. Both had good compression.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/18/2017
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 8 months ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
Hi there . My name is Andy. Have you done an injector buzz test ? Using servicemaxx?
have done a buzz test. Had good compression so replaced injectors and same thing.
No codes active either.

Sorry ... technical issues at my end . I'm back !

So we replaced the injectors , and now we do a buzz test , and all sounds fine , correct ? They all buzz the same ?

sir. egr cooler was busted so replaced it first and now have this issue

Ok and what about fuel pressure ? What is the fuel pressure reading on service maxx ?

If this has the electric fuel pump , you should be seeing a steady 75 psi when engine is running .

showed good let me check with manual gauge

manual gauge on the rail will be 90 psi . while engine is running .

100 psi

Ok . Thanks for that . Is there still a definite miss in the engine when running ? Since we just replaced injectors , and had to pull the oil rail off to do so , we need to run the engine at a higher idle for a good 10 min til it gets to temp and let it clear up . Then a good*****test while pushing it on hills may be required as well to help get all the trapped air out of the high pressure injection system . Then retest for the concern .

Also , if you have the newer versions of servicemaxx , you should preform a COEM injector reset on the injectors that were replaced , followed by an ICP adaptation reset . These procedures are done when parts were replaced in the high pressure system .

did run and drive and 4 and 6 dont make any difference when cut them out. Alot of white smoke smells like raw fuel out exhaust.

Do you have servicemaxx ? And if you do , can you perform a COEM reset under the procedures tab ?

This procedure is for the injectors that have just been installed . It precisely sets them up where they need to be .

We no longer use the injector disable tests as they are not very acurate or a trustworthy test . We connect a cylinder performance analyser (CPA tester ) to diagnose the cylinders individually . This gives better and more acurate results . Can I have the last 8 digits of the vin number please ?

Do not have service maxx

Also , can you confirm that ICP desired and injection control pressure are always close to the same throughout all ranges ?

Let me confirm
BJ437693

ICP changes with engine load and accel pedal demand , but actual ICP should always follow desired ICP and stay with 150 psi + or - of desired ICP . This system goes as high as 4500 Psi when fully loaded

sir icp pressure confirmed. removed egr valve and is wet.

Egr valve is all wet from the EGR cooler . You mentionned it has been replaced correct ?

Dry it up start it and wet again. Have already drove it after egr coolant replacement and ran good. Thought was all burned up because didnt smoke anymore. Than all the sudden boom started missing and smokeing.

Wet again of coolant ? Have you noticed the coolant level dropping in the surge tank ? Do you know if this is coolant ? Can you try a freeze stip on the fluid to see if it is coolant again or if it is fuel ?

Hard to tell if coolant or fuel with all the soot mixed in but i can try it.

Is the coolant level dropping ?

Did not notice it dropping and didnt test im about to remove intake tube off egr cooler and see what comes out
tested as bad in freeze stick

Does it show a freeze protection ?

Showed unsafe.

I don't want you to check the freeze protection of the coolant in the surge tank . I need you to try and scoop some of the wet stuff at the egr valve and put it in a clean styrofoam cup or something , then add a lfew spoons of water to it , stir it together and then check that mix for freeze protection . If there is any freeze protection showing , it is because there is coolant running through there

u did that and tested unsafe. than got some from surge tank and tested good. Remove intake tube off egr cooler running behind head. started it and have diesel blowing out of egr cooler?
Let me catch some that fluid out of there and test ot
Let me catch some that fluid out of there and test it
Its diesel for sure.
Removed temp sensor on mlexhausr manifold and was dry.
Wouldnt mix with water and desintagrated styrofoam cup

Ok so a fuel problem . Do we have air in the fuel possibly at the fuel rail ?

Not sure. How do i check that exactly

when checking fuel pressure at the rail with a manual gauge , your pressure gauge line should be setup with a t-block that has a shutoff valve on one port with a clear line on the other side of the shutoff valve . So when checking fuel pressure , you can turn the shutoff valve on and let fuel run out of the clear line into a bucket to see if there is any air in the fuel coming out .

What am i checking here exactly? A cracked head maybe? How else can fuel get in the exhaust like that unless one of the new injectors is stuck open? Where do i hook up to check rail pressure? I had it on test port on fuel filter housing
Should i pull turbos and see how much fuels in it.

No... there is a test port right on the fuel rail n the left side of the engine . It is a valve stem looking fitting . It should be right behind the front cover and above the high pressure oil pump .

90 to 100 psi on rail all the time with no air bubbles. open valve and a couple small bubbles than clears up no bubbles

I will show you a pic

i have already hooked up a gauge with valve just like that. Messaged you results above buddy

Have you checked for air coming out with fuel while running at idle and at high idle no load ?

Also , if you connect the egr valve to harness but leave it out , when you turn the key on , does the egr valve cycle open at all momentarily ?

sir already did and yes its air firel mixture coming out of egr port. let me check of egr cycles momentarily while plugged in.

Is the egr valve stuck open ? It is spring loaded and should default completely closed .

No closed all the way
Not stuck open
Does not open when plugged in and key on. i open it up ajd it pulls in closed thoughm
Okay and what about your intake throttle valve? It should be defaulting open. It is located at the end of the charge air cooler Outlet hose going into the engine
it is default position open
Electric set overnight removed injectors number 4 cylinder full of fuel
I let*
Swapped injectors out with known good ones than the still dumping fuel into cylinders excessive fuel in the exhaust
What should I check next I really need a response please and thank you
Can I get a flow diagram for the fuel system please sir

sorry for the delay but I also work days at the garage . I will look that up for you

Would the check valve cause over fueling. Acts like 4 5 and 6 dont change sound of engine when unplug them. checked ohmed harness and is good.? No codes
Smokes real bad still. raw fuel
Where is the fuel pressure regulator valve and the check valve?
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician