Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2010 ultra shift. 10 speed ultra shift in a Freightliner,

Customer Question
2010 ultra shift. Mechanic's...

2010 ultra shift.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

10 speed ultra shift in a Freightliner

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Was driving Bobtail, got code f, pulled over will go into gear but then makes loud banging sound. Pulled code 43

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/18/2017
Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 11 months ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Hi, my name is ***** ***** for your question.I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Morning sorry for delay

First thing to check is the power supply to transmission TCU

the power supply comes directly from batteries and goes to TCU

there should be a fuse in battery box that gets connected directly to bat positive make sure all battery connections are good and tight, check eyelet connection from fuse, check fuse holder for any corrosion and repair as needed, then follow wire from fuse to tcu pay close attention outside battery box the wire can get partially rubbed through on frame or bat box and cause this issue

Click here for full diagnostics troubleshooting for this code.

Please take a moment and rate my service 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts.
Experts only get paid when you accept our answers

Checked battery connections, everything looks good there, I get a code 43 and 25, if I clear the codes I get can put it in gear, but when I start to move the warning lights cone back on, and if I keep moving it will make a loud banging noise.

Sounds like the range valve is sticking Check wiring to range valve if okay replace range valve

click here

Please use the star rating system at top of page so I get credit from the web site for my time,
You may still ask follow up questions at no extra charge after rating.
Thank you

Could the range valve cause that banging noise, any ideas what that would be? How hard is it to change, can it be done on the side of the road?

Yes it can cause the banging noise, if not shifting correctly the timing of when gears mesh is off and it bangs in gear

If you can get on top of trans on side of road yes or you would need to drop drive shaft to get to valve

**********Please don’t forget to rate or accept the answer in a positive way, .**********
EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****
Thank You