Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Volvo d13 overheating, replaced cyl head thermostat

Customer Question
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
It transfer some coolant to the overflow tank and then it looses that coolant from the drain
9/17/2017
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This issue here can be due to a fault with a cylinder head gasket leaking.It leaks internally to where the exhaust can leak into the cooling system and coolant into the exhaust in some cases.If you have not had what is called a " block test" done this should be done to see if this is the cause here for sure.If it does require a cylinder head gasket replacement I would have the head checked for any damaged or being warped as well as the block.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

It's a brand new head and head gasket
It's not doing a lot but let's say in 2500kms mountain road it looses about half a gallon

Did this issue only start to occur after the head and head gasket was replaced?

No it's been doing that for a year now

I apologize for the delay.

It would be a good idea to have the engine checked for any coolant restrictions needing flushed out to correct this fault.In some cases debris or corrosion can plug coolant passages and can cause this fault here needing a complete engine coolant flush to resolve this issue.

I would also have the water pump checked to see if it is circulating properly as a failing water pump can also cause issues causing this fault here as well.

If these were already checked or done let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete let me replace the water pump, I'll let you know

O.k. let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

Ok Pete this truck is coming this weekend
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 10 months ago

Sounds good.

Let me know how this turns out when your ready.

Thanks Pete