Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have an FH 550HP Volvo and its cuts out whilst driving. It…

Customer Question
I have an FH...

I have an FH 550HP Volvo and its cuts out whilst driving. It restarts after i bleed the fuel system. I have replaced both pumps & all filters . It is also hard to start but when i prime the fuel system its starts. Hoping you can help

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

1995 FH16 D16C engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yeh i have found the pick up blocked and i cleaned it and all the lines < it was good for 3 weeks then problem started again . it also shows a code Fuel dleivery pressure mechanical fault active MID128 PID 94 FMI 7

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check the fuel lines for leaks or restrictions, install a clear hose or sight glass to monitor for air bubbles on the suction side and return. Check the filter housings for leaks as well sucking in air. If okay, verify the pump is working properly for a possible weak pump causing low fuel supply pressure. Let em know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this.

both pumps are new and there are no leaks i have inspected all fuel line and all look to be fine , can you tell me if the eletric pupm located in filter housing is a lift pump for the main pump or just a priming pump for when you replace the filters .
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Fuel system - early D12D, D16C

Electric pump (3) is used for:- bleeding the system via the permanent vent pipe.- draining water from the water separator.The pump is activated by dashboard switch (12).Bleed and drain operations are described later.A fuel feed pressure sensor (13) is fitted to the filter head, and measures the fuel pressure after the filter - i.e. a restricted filter will give a low pressure reading.Safety valve (14) opens to allow fuel back to the suction side when pressure beyond the feed pump is too high - i.e. if the filter is restricted

cleand mechanical pump as it was replaced not to i have cleaned tanks , removed & washed . Blown out fuel lines & replaced all washers on banjo fittings. Replaced electric pump & inspected mechanical pump which was ok. Checked suction side & return for air bubbles . Found slight air bubbles on return but cleared up after running .
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Thanks for the update. Check to see if fuel pressure is constant on the supply and is not fluctuating with a mechanical gauge. Air on the return can indicate worn injectors or injector o rings/ cups as the issue.

i know that . Being an intermittent problem i do not think worn injectors may be the case . And if my injector cups are leaking would i not get diesel in my header tank. i drove the truck for a 120km drive today & found it did not cut out but still a little hard to start but it still started and ran fine .
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

I did not mean cracked cups. I meant in respect to injector o rings leaking. Also if these injectors have 500k miles or better on them I assure you they are worn and should be changed anyway even without you troubles.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

The injector o rings seal on the cups.... the o ring could be failed and the sealing area on the cup not smooth

ok , i have just put a clear line on the return . And started the engine and let it idle , to find a constant flow of aerated diesel .
when i turned the engine off air & diesel was still coming out , after a minute no mare air come out just flow of diesel.
I just want to make sure it is the injector cups or o'rings as it is a costly exercise
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Understood.... Check for air on the suction side with a clear hose as it could be pulling air on the suction.... If no air on the suction side but on the return it will be coming from the injector o rings and worn injectors. you could always send them out for testing but it is not worth testing if they have 500k or better on them....

Also why when i cleaned & flushed my fuel system including check valve at front of cylinder head why was it good for 3 weeks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Is it possible there could be some trash in the tanks? Vandals maybe? Bad fuel?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

You will know if there is a suction side problem with the clear line installed

i just cleaned the tanks , and removed a lot of bits of rubber and old fuel cap that had broken down overtime. i cleaned it 3 weeks ago and it was good . then problem raised again . It is much better but it does have bubbles in the fuel on the return
may i add since i have cleaned the tanks replaced filters , cleaned fuel pump & replaced electric pump its not stalling any more. the only reason i replaced the electric pump on top of the filter housing is due to the amount of dirt that was in there.It started fine .after i let it sit today but the bubbled on the return is still a concern .
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Thanks for the update. you can always run the supply and return into a bucket of fuel to see if you get the same result. This will confirm it further.

how can i run the supplyinto a bucket whilst i have it running .
sorry i do not understand
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

run the engine from a bucket of fuel putting both supply and return in the bucket with different hoses right to the engine connections which bypasses the existing lines and tank

today i drove the truck and it was all good untii the end of the day . i came off the high way . sitting on 100 kph then took a turn off and it ran rough and stalled
i still haven't checked supply for bubbles as i need to make a hose up or get one . bust with that symptom discribed is it likely to be related to the fuel system or the accelerator sensor
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Since you have to bleed the fuel system to restart it means there is air getting in, restrictions or leaks on the suction side and possibly a weak supply pump

could you tell me if the supply is on the L/H side rear of the cylinder head or the front where the check valve is
im sure its the one on the left hand rear of cylinder head
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

The supply is going to be inline with the filters while the return is going just back to tank

i know that i was asking where it is located on the engine . you obviously do not know . that is ok i worked it out .
when i fitted a hose to the fuel line that feeds the main fuel line . i submerged it into a bottle and cranked the engine over . what i found is it bubbled then fuel started flowing out . the pressure looked week just pouring out of the hose . it was not running just cranked it over. is it normal to have low pressure on cranking
by fuel i mean diesel
the return actually goes back to filter housing . behind the return on the check valve is where it returns back to tank.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

You should have little to no air bubbles while cranking unless you have leaks, restrictions, or a weak supply pump. The check valve should help keep fuel from bleeding back and in the rail.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson