Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My Cat 247b3 is acting like its starving for fuel when its…

Customer Question
My Cat 247b3 is...

My Cat 247b3 is acting like its starving for fuel when its going up hill forward; not backwards, it seems to be worse when the fuel level is below 1/2, the operator manual says there is a water drain, but its not where the manual says, I cat see any that looks like a drain, The problem is intermittent and I suspect rust or something in the tank clogging the screen, fuel filter new, no change, any Ideas? thanks Bill

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

247B3 PIN 247BATSL00340

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Technician: cat_engines_only, Other replied 11 months ago
cat_engines_only

Draining the tank is the best place to start. It will be a pipe plug and you may need to clean the area to see the plug. If your machine bottom has been rubbing, the plug could be rubbed flat too.

Note: Drain the water and the sediment from the fuel tank when the tank is almost empty.

1. Slowly remove the fuel tank cap in order to relieve the tank pressure.
  2. The fuel tank drain plug is located underneath the machine at the left rear corner. Loosen the plug.
  3. Allow the water and the sediment to drain into a suitable container.

4. Install the fuel tank drain plug.

Note: Apply 5P-3413 Pipe Sealant to the threads on the drain plug.

5. Install the fuel tank cap.

Did you find anything in the filter when you changed it?

Have you changed the in-line fuel filter?

Some of these engines have a lift pump on the side of the block. It may have a cover that can be removed. If it does, some of these lift pumps also had a screen under the cover and it can become plugged.

I would inspect all the lines from the tank to the engine. Loog for damage or rubbed areas and loose clamps. Anywhere air can enter the suction lines, you will lose power.

Don't forget the clean the area where fresh air is pulled into the air filter. I often find the tower is full of trash and block the hole to the air filter.

You can test your lift pump by adding a line from the pump to a buck and see if you have flow from the pump. Disconnect the shutoff solenoid so the engine will not start and crank for 30 seconds. You should get about two quarts of fuel. You can also connect a pressure gauge and see if it will make about 8 psi or better.

Found a little rust in the filter, not enough to clog it, maybe half a thimble, followed the fuel line from the tank to the cartridge filter and from there to the pump, no inline filter, the manual says there's one but got nothing, I'll also check the screen and the pump, I think the manual may be the wrong one since nothing seems to be where it says it is, Thanks I'll you know what I find tomorrow, Bill

By the serial number you posted, you should have an in-line filter to protect the lift pump.

See the attached image for the parts.

All good, there was an inline filter (clogged with rust) drained the tank got some more rust, new filter tightened all the hoses (some loose) running like new, Thanks Bill

Great! Glad to hear you found the problem. I would recommend you check your filters closely at the next service interval to monitor for more rust. If you find rust again, look for additives from your fuel supplier or dealer to help limit the buildup of water in your fuel. It is always better to prevent a problem before it can damage the injectors or fuel injection pump. Low fuel pressure from plugged filters or water in the system will greatly shorten the life of these components.

If you need more help, please let me know. I will be glad to help all I can.

Thanks,

CATMASTERTECH.