Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1991 dodge ram 250 with the 5.9 Cummins, I just had…

Customer Question
I have a 1991...

I have a 1991 dodge ram 250 with the 5.9 Cummins , I just had the injector pump rebuilt by US Diesel In Montana and I have it reinstalled and now it is loading up bad and smoking in gear only. It ran jut fine before the rebuild but the pump had external leaks I could not fix. I'm not sure where to go now from hear I have asked friends with there trucks and there lost as well. I'm sure the timing is on due to the fact that when I used the baring tool and rotated the motor clockwise and brought the pump gear to the 5:30 position and the timing pin fell in to the TDC hole and the pump installed just fine. Is there something else I'm missing? thanks for the time and help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time , that is all I have done to the engine so far.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/15/2017
Technician: go-west.., Technician replied 8 months ago
go-west..
go-west.., Technician

Good evening

yes there two possibilities

1 the overflow valve at the return line at the pump could be bad,The overflow valve is a little check valve that maintains the rail pressure in the injection pump,its the fitting that threads into the pump and the fuel return line to the tank threads onto it..thread in out and see if the spring is broken on the ball is off its seat..

2 the afrc line from the pump to the turbo is plugged or is leaking,this line senses boost and when it comes up it allows more fuel delivery to the injectors..(like a cat..)

Ok I will look into this on Saturday . I don't have time tomorrow to mess with it. Ill get back with you If I have any more issues. Thank you.
Ok
Ok I pulled the banjo bolt out of the return line at pump all that is there is a scream. And there is nothing going to the turbo but a oil line and return to block .
It is a small Orphus
Interesting
There should be a regulator and or somesort or check valve there, anyway if everything was good before and now not then I would suspect that the injection pump shop messed something up,have you talked to them?
No i have not call them yet . I was planing on that tommor . I just ran an valve adjust ment and found one tight valve on #3 I'm getting ready to fire it up and see how it runs . any thing else you can think of I would appreciate it. Thanks
It idles fine and when you step on it or load it down it misses right?
on load only with tons of smoke
Still the same no change .
This is the VE pump I believe they told me it was the 114. The engine is a 1990 on the tag
Ya something is wrong with that pumpStop wasting your time
Ok ill contact US Diesel tomorrow. Thank you
Let me know how you do
I will . thanks
Good
Well I called us diesel today. They told me that this pump was calibrated twice before it came to me they say they do that all the time to make sure that this thing is in calibration. So I explain how I installed it how I timed it and he came up with a solution that the idle was too high to lower the idle a bit and see how it responds. Is still loads up a little bit not as bad so I took it for a good drive about 20 miles and it seems to be a little better but without attack I don't even know exactly where it's at and there is no tag drive on this motor anywhere that I can find. I do believe it's a little too long cuz it shakes at the lights but you put it in a neutral runs just fine. Noticing that the smoke is more of a white then it is a darker gray or black. Any other suggestions it wood gladly help
I also reported Court of ATF into the gas tank I got about three-quarters of a tank maybe if decarbing it would be you big plus I wouldn't hurt so maybe the more I drive it the better it gets.
Hey
Can I get your engine serial number please,
And what is the idle set at?
All I was able to read for a serial number this tag is almost completely gone is(###) ###-####engine number(###) ###-####date 8/31/90. As far as what the idle is set at I have no idea there is no tachometer in this truck.

Hey

Set the idle speed to 700 rpm's and run it

Wish i was there to look at it.

I wishthat as well but I'm lost and I might have to take it to someone that dose this more than me.. I thank you for your help.
No problem
Good luck
I took it to a diesel shop here in Tucson today. They told me that there's a secondary timing that needs to be done to the pump itself and they are going to do that for me tomorrow. I guess I will see how well that goes tomorrow and I will let you know. Thank you
Ya
They are talking about static or spill timing, if it's out, then it's on the US diesel shop that did the original repair..
I will let them know that if it is the issue. I'm hoping that is all it is, the looked at is and that is what they said needs to be done. So ill fine out tomorrow.
Ok
Good night
Good night
Good afternoon or evening .., okay what the diesel shop told me is the actual pump gear is at a time it is firing on number 6 when it should be firing on number one that is the reason why this truck is loading up and smoking so much and is jerking around in gear all the time so what has to be done as I have to pull the whole front of the motor reset the timing gear reinstall the pump on number one but I am looking for all this timing marks specs and instructions on how to do this like I said I have not touched these older Motors before so if you can give me any kind of info I would gladly appreciate it pictures on timing marks thank you
go-west..
go-west..
go-west.., Technician