Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Wanting to know the procedure for setting the valve tappets

Customer Question

Hello wanting to know the procedure for setting the valve tappets for 3204 caterpillar engine .
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: yes thanks just to let you know that I am a mechanic myself.
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am just about to time the engine with the 3-8 drill and start settings .
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: basically I think it is in two stages once its set there we do half the engine tappets and then I think we turn it one more revolution and then set the other half.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Bare with me while I pull up your information. Also by chance do you have the engine serial number?

(1) Valve clearance setting with engine stopped:

Intake valve ... .015 in.(0.38 mm)

Exhaust valve ... .025 in.(0.64 mm)

(2) Torque for locknut on valve adjustment screw ... 24 ± 5 lb. ft.(30 ± 7 N·m)

Remove the 1/4 inch pipe plug on the front of the rear housing and put a 3/8 16 threaded bolt about three inches long in that hole. Bar over by hand tools clockwise rotation until the bolt goes in the hole in the flywheel. Mark your pulley for reference.Watch the valves on 1 or 4 one set will be rocking between inlet and exhaust on valve overlap, the other set will be loose. The loose set you adjust. Then turn it 180 degrees and 2 or 3 will be one set rocking and one set loose. Adjust the lose set. Turn 180 and then adjust the other set of the pair and 180 and repeat.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry we no longer need your service. Problem sorted already. Take off our visa from your file. You don't charge us for nothing. Cancel!!!!! cancel!!!!! cancel!!!!

Im not an employee of the site. Contact customer service.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Before we even received your answer we said we didn't need it because we were mislead with the cost and I went straight to Gough got the info for free. I have done the job and bolted tappet cover back on before your info even arrived. thanks I don't want to pay for something that I didn't use and asked to be counselled.