Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2003 Mack Ch613 with an E7-427. Engine won't start,

Customer Question
im not getting any power...
I have 2003 Mack Ch613 with an E7-427. Engine won't start, im not getting any power to the EUP. We have already swiched the EPU still no luck.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/13/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my fuses name is***** will be glad to try to help. Test all fuses for power on both sides with the key on and replace any fuses with power only on one side. Check all relays and check for a blown ECU fuse or loss of power to the ECU while looking for an inline fuse between the batteries and ECU. The engine light should cycle at key on. If not the ECU is not powering or communicating. Verify the ECU power and grounds. If okay verify engine speed sensor signal. If all electrical test okay and the ECU checks good, verify there is good fuel supply pressure and no leaks or restrictions between the tank and pump. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this.

Sorry I couldn't get too you sooner. none of this work. however now its reading 9-2 code. I tried everything the service bulliten said to do. still no luck.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Click on this link below. Is this the bulletin? If not, run through these checks.

this is the bulletin, we tried this
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

If you have good power and grounds to the ECU and the fuel supply pressure checks good, Engine speed sensor is working giving engine RPM signal to the ECU but no start, it points to a faulty ECU. Have yours tested and the software reflashed and updated if okay or obtain a known good ECU for test purposes. Let me know.

We tried several ecu with similar results. current ecu was tested on another truck & it worked fine
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Thanks for the update. Do you have a scan tool that will read live data and verify if the engine speed sensor is reading RPMs and also be able to check all parameters in live data? This is what I would check for next.

The only thing that its not reading that is different from other trucks is the "engine load"
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Thanks for the update. Is the engine trying to crank over under a load from a possible transmission or other problem not allowing the engine to turn over easily? This will cause a no start. Are there any PTO components attached that might be engaged?

No PTO, good compressiong, good fuel pressure.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Thanks for the update. But it is confirmed the injectors are not firing? Check the timing and verify there is no mechanical failure and also check the valve adjustments for any signs of a failed camshaft. Let me know

Everything Mechanical is fine. Good Compression, 9-2 no longer reads. Still nothing
everything is adjusted, im getting fuel at the injectors. the engine will fire if I spray staring fluid. its almost as if its a fuel issue/electrical issue but i already replaced the fuel pump & all the fuses, cleaned all the connectors, replaced engine speed sensor.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Thanks for the update. isnt there a loss of electrical power to the EUP or ECU?

No. everything seems normal. it just wont fire.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

And we are 100% sure all ECU power and grounds test good with a test meter, speed sensors are good and getting signal to the ECU, Wiring tests good, injectors, and fuel supply pressure is good. Im out of suggestions. Ill opt out in case another expert has more suggestions on this one.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

MY opt out link is missing.... Opt me out on your side of the screen so this can get back on the board for you.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson