Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2007 CNH TC30 that won't shut off sometimes. When…

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 CNH TC30 that won't shut off sometimes. When it is off I can hear somethings clicking like the engine stop solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I just replaced the safety start relay today and it was clicking randomly while I was doing some other maintenance

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

TC30, Z6NGC1037

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
When it starts doing this they key can be in the run or off position and it will not shut off no matter what I do. I've tried engaging the mid and rear PTO's and standing up, turning on the lights (read it in a blog), leaving it in gear (HST) and standing up (no buzzer), but nothing work. The front hydraulics, PTO's, transmission, and lights all work with key off. I haven't paid attention to the instrument cluster much, but I believe all the gauges and lights shut off. I'm guessing it's the fuel shutoff solenoid (cheapest), ignition switch, or safety controller (most expensive).
Oh, so far I haven't been able to get to the fuel shutoff switch before it shuts down on its own. Sometimes it'll start to die and then rev back up and keep going.
9/13/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

With engine off, use a voltmeter and check the harness to the fuel solenoid with the key on. It has to have voltage when key is on, and none when key is off. Fuel solenoid usually causes no start, not problem killing engine! If you find voltage at he solenoid with key off, either keyswitch is bad, or there is back-feed from elsewhere, maybe a bad voltage regulator.

I don't see a voltage regulator on my wiring diagram. I also don't see the Safety Controller on my diagram but I know it's on my firewall. I said fuel shutoff solenoid, but my diagram lists it as engine shutoff solenoid. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Or is the voltage regulator in the alternator?

The fuel shutoff solenoid and engine shutoff are the same. It has to retract for start, and has to snap back when key is turned off. See link below. The regulator is in the alternator and if regulator has a bad diode, you can get feedback into the electrical system.

I will check that then.

oK> Thanks,

A new voltage regulator is $344. A remanufactured alternator is $231. A toggle switch in the PO.5 wire coming off the voltage regulator is less than $5. I know, eventually the regulator will burn out and I'll have to replace the alternator anyway, but it'll extend the time I have for my budget to recover from implement purchases.

Have you ran voltage test on the solenoid? And keyswitch is not problem?

I can hear the solenoid when I turn the key on and off so I know it's getting voltage when on and not when off. It's definitely the same random clicking I hear when the tractor is off.

So something is powering it. Feedback from something.

Would that be from an intermittent short in the voltage regulator or the ignition switch.

I'm thinking something with a diode, like the alternator regulator.