Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a om 460 engine on a freight liner Columbia. Spewing…

Customer Question
Have a om 460 engine...
Have a om 460 engine on a freight liner Columbia. Spewing black smoke through exhaust although engine is running better than it ever Has.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/12/2017
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 11 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

is this a detroit or mercedes motor???

It's a Mercedes and it's actually white smoke. Truck runs like new and within an hour oil starts dripping down the exhaust manifold. What could it be? I apologize for the confusion as I am helping my uncle.

white smoke is usually coolant. it could be coming from ege cooler is you have an egr. it could also be a head gasket.

black smoke is usually oil related. you replaced the turbo I see. it could be egr or injectors causing this.

the leak, is it external like a valve cover???

Roy

pressure wash the or that side of the motor and run to see if you can pin point the leak easier

Roy

We've already pulled the exhaust apart.

is it in the exhaust ports of the head???

No we removed the exhaust manifold and all of the head ports look fine.

ok, then it is not internal.

your leak is external. thats why you need to power wash and then run it to determine the leak.

also, injector cups could also cause the white smoke.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. We only get paid when you accept our answers

Roy

Upon further inspection, we found oil in the rearmost exhaust port. What could cause this and what do we need to check?

ok

could be rings or could be bad valve guides in the head.

you can do a cylinder leak down test to check the rings.

Please explain the leak down procedure

remove the injector. insert the tool for leak down test. it uses shop air to air up the cylinder. then watch for the loss of pressure. you will most likely see excessive crankcase pressure if you remove oil fill cap.

Roy

Is this a special tool that I have to get from the dealer?

no, snap on, mac, cornwell, even harbor freight would have it. the dealer will have it but will be very pricy.

Roy

We can't go that route because we don't have the injector puller

you will need to get that as well.

the bot***** *****ne is this. either you have to pull the head and send it out for checking the guides or you are talking an in frame for the rings

Roy