Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am currently working on a 10/07/03 f650 superduty. it has…

Customer Question
Hi I am currently...

Hi I am currently working on a 10/07/03 f650 superduty. it has the vt365 engine. I'm receiving codes of sid21 fmi2, sid64 fmi,2. Sometimes I get sid22 fmi2. Sometimes I get sid21 fmi12, sid64 fmi12. Truck will only turn over an doesn't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok sounds good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have changed the engine oil, oil filter, and new oil filter cap. Also replaced cam sensor an electrical pigtail, new crank sensor an electrical pigtail, made sure crankshaft reluctor wheel was turning, and checked to make sure cam shaft was turning through sensor holes.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Truck was towed to me so I've never heard it run.
9/11/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Bare with me while I pull up those codes.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

SID 21 FMI 2 FLASH CODE 143 wrong number of CAMP signal transistions per cam revolution

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Incorrect Crankshaft Position (CKP) signal
signature - Check CKP sensor and circuit
147 SID 64 2

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Camshaft Position Output (CMPO) transition
occurred at the wrong Crankshaft Position
Output (CKPO) tooth - Check timing and
Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)
552 SID 22 2

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

These faults are an indication of a faulty cam/crank position sensor or wiring harness for the sensors. Check for both.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

I've already installed new sensors in both an put new pig tails on both with same results.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have diamond logic or a scan tool that will read live data and Engine RPM while cranking?

I have the snap on modius
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Its possible the sensor air gap is incorrect, other mechanical issues causing the sensor not to read the gear, or possible ECM software issues.

Sorry wrong truck. I'm using jpro fleet diagnostics it doesn't give much live data.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Another rare but possible cause is interference from a short such as an alternator issue or poor grounds etc that would throw off the sensor signals to the ECM.

Do you have a wiring schematic for the cam an crank sensors.
Can you tell me what voltage should be present at cam an crank sensors with key on engine off?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Click on this link for the schematic.

Troubleshooting

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Min 100 Hz @ crank. The specs are in page 2 of the link I provided.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

Magnetic pickup sensors
• CKP
• CMP
• VSS
A magnetic pickup sensor generates an alternating
frequency that indicates rotational speed. Magnetic
pickup sensors have a two wire connection for signal
and ground. The sensor has a permanent magnet
core surrounded by a wire coil. The signal frequency
is generated by the rotation of gear teeth that disturb
the magnetic field.
Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor
The CKP sensor indicates crankshaft speed and
position.
The CKP sensor provides the ECM with a signal
that indicates crankshaft speed and position. As the
crankshaft turns the CKP sensor detects a 60 tooth
timing disk on the crankshaft. Teeth 59 and 60 are
missing. By comparing the CKP signal with the CMP
signal, the ECM calculates engine rpm and timing
requirements.
The CKP is installed in the front right side of the lower
crankcase.

Camshaft Position (CMP)
The CMP sensor indicates camshaft speed and
position.
The CMP sensor sends a pulsed signal to the ECM
when a single peg on the camshaft rotates past
the CMP sensor once during each revolution of the
camshaft. The ECM calculates camshaft speed and
position from CMP signal frequency.
The CMP sensor is installed in the front left side of the
crankcase.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

I posted an offer for the manual in file sharing if interested let me know once accepted so I know to post the link.

Ok just now getting back to this truck. What is the best way to check if this engine is in time.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 8 months ago

The IDM has three functions: • Electronic distributor for injectors • Power source for injectors • IDM and injector diagnostics Electronic distributor for injectors The IDM distributes current to the injectors. The IDM controls fueling to the engine by sending high voltage pulses to the OPEN and CLOSE coils of the injector. The IDM uses information from the ECM to determine the timing and quantity of fuel for each injector. The ECM uses CMP and CKP input signals to calculate engine speed and position. The ECM conditions both input signals and supplies the IDM with CMP and CKP output signals. The IDM uses CMP and CKP output signals to determine the correct sequence for injector firing. The ECM sends information (fuel volume, EOT, and ICP) through the CAN 2 link to the IDM; the IDM uses this information to calculate the injection cycle.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson