Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My Volvo hauler A35E11073 displays N (neutral) with a lock

Customer Question

My Volvo hauler A35E11073 displays N (neutral) with a lock key sign when I engage the gear and the transmission will not drive once the N and lock key shows.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 month ago.
Can you send picture of screen, and is there an error code in message envelope screen?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the image on the screen which only comes up once I engage the gear and move the machine. It will appear and stop the machine from moving
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There's no any other error message

okay thanks for that info, Volvo hasn't put the operations manuals on line for the e models yet. Let me look at the shop in the am to see what that means.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, Please do you now have any answer or solution to my problem?

Hi, So the lock symbol is the indication the gear shift lock is engaged. This will keep it from going into gear. Make sure the switch is turned off and retry operatiom

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There's no gear lock button on Volvo A35E hauler series. The N plus lock sign(which only shows up when I've engaged the gear and the machine moves a second) means there's electrical problem in my transmission system which I don't know what or where exactly the problem is coming from in my transmission. The exact location or part the problem is, is the answer or solution am expecting in this forum.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But if your sure that there's lock key in this series of Hauler, please send me the location drawing on picture of the gear key lock.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Attached is the instrumental panel diagram, please can you help me and identify the exact button or location the gear lock button is?

Hi Im heading back to shop now and can scan the info I found. However the shift lock button should be the one beside the gear shifter to the left under the double switches for retarder and engine brake.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That button is Gear-shift inhibitor!!
Inhibitor is used for preventing gearshift hunting in certain situations, that is
to say repeated up- and downshifts at short intervals. That means it doesn't stop the transmission from entering the 1/2C gear at the first movement of the machine/transmission, it only stop the gear from shifting to a higher or lower gear when the machine/transmission is already in a motion (driving).
Mostly, inhibitor key is used to avoid overspending of the gear not to lock the gear from engaging from the beginning.The solution to tThe problem seams to be an electrical (sensor, bad pwm valve etc) from the transmission. Am just expecting some one that will be able to identify the exact one and it location.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please can you make my question open to other experts let them try to help!

Yes I know that but according to the info I can find that symbol on the display represents that is on. If you had a bad sensor you will have and error code but you might not be able to see it without vcads pro. I will gladly opt out and another tech can assist thank for letting me try. Best of luck on the repairs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thanks for your try and suggestions. If the gear shift - inhibitor is the problem, it would have allowed me to move the machine with the gear in position 1 or 2 which is manual.
But in this case position 1 or 2 does not also drive the machine. the N plus lock key still shows in 1 or 2 gear position.Thanks for your try and opt out.