Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
30303843

Found that starter will crank with icm fuse removed at

Customer Question

found that starter will crank with icm fuse removed at battery but no crank with good fuse. No start key on good fuse and remote starter at starter / loss of crank signal only when fuse installed......also checked cmp and crk sensors for voltage and continuity OK
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 2007 durastar dt466
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have no access to wire diagram for start or icm powers and ground circuits
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I do not have VIN # Or Access to diag. codes ....OBD Only says Not Available
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ICM Fuse Installed Dash Said Elec. Fault. Fuse Removed Fault doesn't return
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to help if I can. Can you tell me if this is a blue engine? Not a maxxforce black engine? In other words, no after treatment?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a maxxforce
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im an automotive tech. trying to help independent operator thats broke. Very limited knowledge how Computer controls work on h/d veh. start and fuel supply/driver has tried to fire engine with remote start sw. and starting fluid with no luck
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
Do you hear the injectors buzzing at key on before startup
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No . Just hear relays clicking then silence / No buzzing injectors / injectors under valve cover/ correct?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2 problems ? no crank and no fuel supply ??
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
It is a mechanical lift pump and will provide fuel pressure once cranking. Need 20 psi to start but before that we need to make sure the injectors are buzzing. Do you have an engine light on? If so we need to check the IDM relay at the power distribution box on the left front fender when you open the hood
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
The ECM relay should also be checked if you have a no crank situation. It is located in the same power distribution box. I am currently driving. If you want we can continue this on a phone conversation and it would be easier
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
I work for an international dealership . I know these trucks well.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
Also, you need to know that the ECM and the IDM have their own power feed harness straight from the batteries. So you might also want to check the inline fuses and the connections in the battery box. The fuses are located just on top of the batteries
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Two relays taped to main harness / I will check for input power and let you know. the charge's for phone call will be billed to me and just trying to help
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
Start by checking at the battery box for those inline fuses. In many cases the problem is either there or at the relays in the distribution box
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Replaced fuse at icm/ was open/ and still OK at this time
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
Can you tell me if the turbo linkage Cycles when you turn the key on? The key should be off for at least 30 seconds before doing this.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
linkage moves
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
Does it go all the way out towards the frame, then all the way back in, then Center itself?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
running out of battery on truck and phone . if i lose you i may i contact you tomorrow
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
What is your number
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.
I will try and keep in touch while on the road