Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

What do you call the clock spring area. The headlight switch…

Customer Question
What do you call the...
What do you call the clock spring area. The headlight switch is on the left hand side of the colum and the wipers are on the right hand side of the colum.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/10/2017
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 9 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

Clock spring is where the steering wheel meets the steering shaft. There is a "clock" spring there which supplies power and grounds through the switches on the steering column. That area, the harnesses from the switches join and go down the column. That is where the wires meet each other. They don't meet in other areas.

Ok the mechanic working on this truck has pulled the steering wheel/shaft apart and has informed me that this truck does not have a Clock spring fitted. He asked if this could be an earthing problem and if so where to look as he is not familiar with the wiring set up of this truck.

Expert is in a hurricane disaster zone and unable to respond due to not having any communications. I will opt this question out for another expert to assist.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is ***** ***** is the year make and model of this truck?

Ok so where to from now, can we keep this chat open until you can find some one else to talk to or do we close it.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Jeremy

12 Sept 2017, 9:55 PM

OPT OUT: Jeremy opted out

12 Sept 2017, 9:55 PM

Me

12 Sept 2017, 10:08 PM

Customer

17 Sept 2017, 5:57 AM

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

This is Dan... I took over the question back on the 12th and asked you for more information.

The truck is a Mack Premium 320hp 2002 Model (Renault)
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

There should be a model number with letters and numbers. What is your VIN so we can try that maybe. Also, Your question was about what is the clock spring area. That has been answered but there is no information on what your real problem is. What problem are you trying to resolve that brought you to that area to look for it? We should back up a bit.

Hi the initial problem is the head lights blink and when they do the windscreen wipers come on, also when the headlights are turned off and you use the blinkers left or right the wipers come on. This problem doesn't happen all the time but most of the time. This will still happen when you have the wiper fuse taken out of the fuse bank.. The vin number is ***** Thanks Lyndsey
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Thanks for the update. This is one of the Cabover chassis. I do not have the schematics on this model but some of the UD diagrams are available on the Mack Media site. Let me opt out in case another expert can help better on this model with diagrams.

Do not want to continue with this as not getting any answers.