Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

2012 International prostate with Maxxforce motor. Engine

brake do not work. Light...
2012 International prostate with Maxxforce motor. Engine brake do not work. Light is on on dash indicating engine brake has been turned on but it does not work. Replaced both brake solenoid still not working . Vin# ***** URGENT HELP NEEDED. ALSO ABS LIGHT IS ON
9/10/2017
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** you tell me if the ABS light came on around the same time that the engine break quit working
No abs been on for while
ALSO I checked switch status in maxxforce application when engine brake is on and light on dash is on it still reads off. But when I check it in diamond logic cab computer dies reead it 100 percent when I turn on engine brake . So I think problem is the engine ecm not receiving engine brake on signal ?
The problem may be related to the ABS light. When there is an ABS fault, depending on what the fault is, the engine brake may be disabled due to the ABS problem. The body controller is still seeing the switch signal as being on but the engine ECM will see it as off because the ABS module is requesting the break to be disabled due to the current issue with abs
Did the ABS light come on at the same time as the engine brake quit working?
I don't remember but I think it's been on for while. I checked with meritor tool there's no fault code but abs light is on though I clear the and light it comes right on
But you really think abs can disable engine brake ?
it can depending on what fault is currently active
Can you answer my question? Did the light come on at the same time roughly as when the engine brake stopped working?
Sorry about that! I didn't see your previous post. My fault! If your ABS light is coming back on after clearing codes, then there must be something coming back active. We need to troubleshoot that
That's the thing there is no fault code
if you drive above 20 kilometers per hour, does the light go out?
Didn't check that ill check and adv8se what if it doesn't .
Let me know
How did it go ? Is the ABS light out ?
Haven't driven it yet
Ok so drove the truck and fault code appeared for abs. It says Front right sensor slip. Active times 1 SID 2. FMI 8. It's meritor .
Ok ... Have you tried going to the right front wheel and physically pushing the sensor against the tone wheel ? Push hard enough til it bottoms . Then go try it again and see if light goes out
How do you tell the difference on this truck between exhaust brake and engine brake . How do you tell which one is working ?
The exhaust back pressure valve is what you are referring to.. thus is not an exhaust brake . This is used only to warm up the engine quicker on startup and also it is used during parked regeneration. This is not an exhaust brake .
This engine only has engine compression brakes which are under the valve cover . Sorry for the delay in answering ... Technical issues
Oh I think my brakes started working then . It wasn't that strong that's why I asked for exhaust brake
No there is none on this engine . I know because I work for an international dealership
They are not the strongest I've seen but they are ok. Cummins are better.
Do you still need help? Please rate my service to you if we are done . Thank you
Are you still needing help ?
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician