Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 95 Gmc /Volvo Detroit Series 60 not starting I

I have a 95 White Gmc /Volvo Detroit Series 60 not starting I checked the fuel filters and they were empty , When i fill them up and the truck runs but only ran for about 3-5 min, I changed the fuel pump but there is no change ..I connected a hose and bucket and it still isn't pulling the diesel,,can it be that the compressor is bad ..

Where did you attach your test hose with the bucket? Need to attach at the fuel pump inlet port. suspect a vacuum leak, before the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is where I connected the hose

And it would not suck fuel? Is the fuel pump drive intact? It may not be turning!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have some suction but not much,,I'm sure the drive is intact it kind of a simple attachment

Drive not slipping? Same with the old pump?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want to get advice from new expert

Let me opt out.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If you can not get suction from the pump from a bucket with a hose to the pump suction it indicates a failed pump. It is a gear type pump and once worn out of specs it will no pickup the fuel. Also check for leaks and sucking in air at the lines and filter housings. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I changed the pump.. The gears from the pump and the compressor lined up perfectly ,, I am not getting fuel in either of the fuel filters

Have you confirmed the shaft is turning and has not failed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I made sure the shaft was turning before I put the new pump on ...Also the truck was working when this originally happened

There is a fuel pressure regulating valve in the back of the cylinder head that can be faulty this will cause fuel starvation problems as well as any hoses sucking in air from age and dry rot.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey good morning Dan ... I am filling up my filters and the truck will run 3-5 minutes ,, but the filters aren't filling back up on there own , I am getting suction from the fuel pump ..I am definitely thinking I have a restriction in the tank or one of the fuel lines ,, I will drain the tanks and change the lines

Thanks for the update. You can always run a test line into the tank fill or a run the supply and return into a bucket of fuel to bypass the existing to verify if this is the problem. Clear hoses or a sight glass is ideal to also watch for air and fuel bleeding back. Let me know.

Daniel Wilson,
Experience: Owner at DJ Wilson

Hi, Did you get this resolved?If so, Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.