Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

A friend hs a 1992 GMC Topkick Lopro with a 366 V-8. Truck…

Customer Question
A friend hs a...

A friend hs a 1992 GMC Topkick Lopro with a 366 V-8. Truck has been sitting in a lot for three years without a battery and has not been started. I put a battery in this afternoon and cranked her over. She started just fine, idles a little rough but runs good...at an idle. However, pressing the accelerator does nothing for the engine speed. Throttle cable moves the throttle plate in the TBI unit,but no increase in engine speed. ???

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

Why doesn't pushing the gas peddle increase the engine speed?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1992 GMC Topkick LoPro, has the 6 liter (366 cu. in) gas engine. Don't have the VIN close to me right now.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/9/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Check engine vacuum and if the vacuum is dropping way down, the exhaust is plugged and no fuel can enter, as the exhaust can't exit.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician