Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

A friend hs a 1992 GMC Topkick Lopro with a 366 V-8. Truck

Customer Question

A friend hs a 1992 GMC Topkick Lopro with a 366 V-8. Truck has been sitting in a lot for three years without a battery and has not been started. I put a battery in this afternoon and cranked her over. She started just fine, idles a little rough but runs good...at an idle. However, pressing the accelerator does nothing for the engine speed. Throttle cable moves the throttle plate in the TBI unit,but no increase in engine speed. ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Why doesn't pushing the gas peddle increase the engine speed?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 1992 GMC Topkick LoPro, has the 6 liter (366 cu. in) gas engine. Don't have the VIN close to me right now.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Check engine vacuum and if the vacuum is dropping way down, the exhaust is plugged and no fuel can enter, as the exhaust can't exit.