cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

I'm working on an 855 cummins big cam. I have a leaky seal

Customer Question

Hi there, I'm working on an 855 cummins big cam. I have a leaky seal on the accessory drive and the pulley itself has a bi of play. I removed the pulley and was wondering if there is a way to remove the shaft bushing without removing the fuel pump from behind the front gear case?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: service model nh/nt 855 esn # 11403066
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 month ago.

If that bushing is failed and there is excessive play in the accy drive shaft that means the bushing has spun in the housing and the whole gear cover must be replaced. and possible the accy drive must be replaced as well. But to answer your question the front cover would need to be removed (Hard way )or the accy dr and pumps on the back of the housing is the easiest way to access the bushing. 132770​ is the bushing part number if you want just try a bushing but i'm not sure you can gust get a bushing anymore, You prob can only get the whole cover Cummins would be able to tell you just provide them the serial number and part number to see if it is still a saleable part or if it has been obsolete .. I've never seen one work once it has spun in the cover. Please don't forget to rate/accept my service

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 month ago.

To replace the front cover is a big job. The engine must be lifted up, the cam has shims that must be reinstalled to the proper thickness and the engine must be properly timed to name a few things.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 month ago.

Do you still need assistance?

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Just following up Please don't forget to Rate/Accept my service