Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

I have a mt45 w/ mercedes eng. has a long crank hard start

Customer Question

i have a mt45 w/ mercedes eng. has a long crank hard start after it sits for 3 or 4 hours. found a considerable amount of metal in the fuel bowl. removed lift pump, took it apart didnt find anything worn. i have a new one to put on. also there is no metal in the tank. where could the metal be coming from. and could it be the cause of my hard start.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: freightliner mt 45 vin # 4uzaancp65cv68861
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

The fuel is likley draining back to tank after shutdown. The fuel transfer pump should have a check valve in it , to keep from draining back. So replacing the fuel transfer pump should take care of it!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?