Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

We have an older Mack fire truck, it has a 672 turbocharged

Customer Question

We have an older Mack fire truck, it has a 672 turbocharged engine we ran it out of fuel, subsequently fueled it up bled the injectors and filled the fuel filter it ran for a few minutes and died the fuel filter was drawn down, refilling the filter allowed it to run for a few minutes. Is there a electric pump in the fuel tank?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: I will try to find it and get back to you.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: sorry for the delay, model #CF688F typeCF688F15 Chasis #1041 9/21/83
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info isnt showing for sure if you have an in tank pump or an external lift pump to pump from the tank but this does need checked.Inspect the fuel feed line from the filter to the tank to see if a pump is found.If one is found try tapping on it to see if it then runs and the vehicle starts.Check for pump wiring at the tank itself to see if a pump is installed on this model.If a pump is installed and is not running it may have burned out when it was ran out of fuel needing replaced or a fuse for it may have burned out when it ran out of fuel needing replaced.If no pump is found make sure there are no fuel leaks that would cause the injection pump to suck in air and fuel as this will cause this issue here as well.If all of these are found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete