Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 93 kw t600, Detroit 60. I want to know what the 1…

Customer Question
I have a 93...

I have a 93 kw t600, Detroit 60. I want to know what the 1 inch hose from water pump to top radiator tank actually does

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Kw, 1993, Detroit 60, 12.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just want to know the purpose of the 1 inch hose

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nooe

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/6/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

It is two fold. It is vent line for water pump, to let any trapped air out, and is the makeup line, when the engine cools, to keep system full.

Is there water flow on this line from pump to radiator? I understand the vent answer, although it seems any air would escape via the bypass line and bubble through the holes in the thermostats​. And I do not understand the makeup answer, the top radiator tank is part of the radiator. As engine cools why would it need this line to replenish as the bottom radiator hose also hooks to the pump and the radiator is supplied by the top tank that the 1 inch line in question also hooks to. I need to install a large filter and wanted to use this line to put a 1 inch stainless 20 gpm canister filter inline on. I figured this line circulated some coolant to radiator while the engine was in bypass prior to thermostats diverting flow to upper radiator inlet. If so, then there should be around 8 gpm flow on it at any given time at operating temp? Mike

Also, there are trucks similar to mine that have a plug installed in this port at the pump. The Kenworth dealership thought the line was originally to feed an auxiliary heat exchanger on some models. If that is truly the case it would work perfectly for my application. But before installing something different to this line I wanted to fully understand it's original purpose.

I know​ I can plumb new ports , one on the oil cooler to supply, and one on bottom of water pump as a return (right next to heater core return), but it appears to be a 1/2 npt fitting. I really wanted the 1 inch line. I just purchased a new radiator, installing yet tonight. The old one has provided me 10 years of service but has stopped up several times with particulates. The truck now has 1.2 million and it seems no matter how much I flush it the coolant will have particles immediately. I need a quick and large capacity filtration. My filter canister has already arrived today, and I have a stainless reusable filter. Thanks, Mike

I find no mention of flow on any of the Detroit sites, If you want to use it for the filter, take the line loose at the reservoir end and see if there is flow when engine is running. If there is , yo filter would get flow through it, and would work.

Prior to our conversation I had cranked truck , and while cold you could see coolant moving through radiator cap hole. I then squeezed off the 1 inch line and movement discontinued. I am in process of replacing the radiator so I was not able to pull line and check for flow, but was already planning on doing so before devoting any time to plumb in a filter.

But, I my decision to pay $46 was so I could have a definite answer as to what the purpose of the line was from factory, so that if the filter became clogged and restricted flow I didn't want to damage the necessary flow for the original purpose. Last night I spoke with an older gentleman that has exceeding experience on all models of Detroit. He is confident the line is designed to give the pump cavitation relief during warm up bypass since the bypass return line is a 1 1/4 ID, and the supply to the thermostat housing is 2 1/2. This would allow the excess flow the availability to circulate to radiator.

Weighing all answers, and trying to be fair, at this juncture I do not feel my question has been answered. I wanted a definite purpose for that line, and at present I honestly do not believe your two fold answer is 100% definite.

But, my decision to pay $46 was so I could have a definite answer as to what the purpose of the line was from factory, so that if the filter became clogged and restricted flow I didn't want to damage the necessary flow for the original purpose. Last night I spoke with an older gentleman that has exceeding experience on all models of Detroit. He is confident the line is designed to give the pump cavitation relief during warm up bypass since the bypass return line is a 1 1/4 ID, and the supply to the thermostat housing is 2 1/2. This would allow the excess flow the availability to circulate to radiator.

And Curtis, maybe there is no good answer at this point, as the old technology on that engine has been updated with so much through the newer ddec models, but it was placed there for some reason! :-). I am very particular, and a perfectionist. I have redesigned so much equipment, from trucks, drill rigs, dozers... Re equipping with different hydraulics, currently am running a Vermeer drill rig with a Komatsu excavator undercarriage and added an auxiliary Bosch rexroth pressure flow compensated pump , coupling it to the other end of engine via home made (I have a small machine shop with lathe) coupler, to drive the added hydraulic load. (Also added auxiliary cooler)

Anyway, I just wanted to know 100 percent before using that line for a different purpose. Thanks, Mike

OK< I worked a Detroit tech , starting in 1966, I have a little experience. Maybe the elderly gentleman knows more than I. The setup is the truck manufacturers, not Detroit. So it is not covered in the Detroit manuals.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician