Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I own a semi truck .I want to rebuild the engine on no

Hi,I own a semi truck .I want to rebuild the engine on no budget ,myself.detroit engine 14.0L EGR 2004.I will need all specifications and step by step procedures.block counter bore,torques,overhead calibrations and sequences.I do have some tools,except some mechanics told me that the tool I bought to get the sleeves out won't work on my engine.the tool i got looks in a V shape upside down.I have a torque wrench,a tool to
drive sleeves down and measure for protrusion ,injectors hight tool,feeler gages.and so on.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

That is seriously hard to do with this engine with no budget...

Do you have the Detroit rebuild tool kit? This engine uses several specialized tools to do the rebuild. The tool you described will not pull the sleeves out. The injector sleeves are twisted in and the piston sleeves use a special driving and pulling tool or you will have engine issues.

On the specs you need, you are better off getting the service manual. I do have one available for $50 in pdf that I can make a premium service offer for. It's a $400+ manual from the dealer.

Let me know.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okey,I was about to buy a CD from E bay.But,instead I can buy you the download pdf format .and for the tool to get the sleeves out.any tricks?can they be push out from underneath?Let me know how can We do this
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no phone calls ,I get charge.did not know

I sent the offer for the manual. Once accepted, I send the link to the download for it. Then you can see all the steps you need for the full rebuild.

On the sleeves, you probably could push them out the bottom, for the pistons. Putting them in will be the harder part. The injector sleeves, you have to twist them out. There is no way around them unfortunately. Sometimes AutoZone will do tool loan on the heavier trucks, but not all of them. NAPA will do tool loans for larger trucks so you can borrow the injector sleeve tool from them and return it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will be sending the head to a machine shop .the rest I will try to do it myself.They will installed the cups or sleeves and reconditioned
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry,Jeremy my other card was declined for security reasons .now let me know how and when I will receive the download

You should have a link that popped up in the communication on your end. It says Contact Information I believe. That link takes you to the full Technician manual and the add ons that has all your other stuff. It will have all of the info you would need for the engine. Full rebuild along with tool pictures and how they are used so you can use alternatives to what you don't have.

On the credit card, I don't handle that area at all. That is fully the site and customer service.

Also, be cautious when buying manuals off of eBay. A lot of the Detroit manuals are scanned copies of older manuals that just have the addendums for the newer engines added. There are a few sellers that have the actual tech manuals and will state so in their listings. There is a difference. The tech manuals lists the tools and has the add ons, are usually in Word format or pdf with bookmarks. If no bookmark or no service manual number, then they are the old ones with the scans.

I know several that people that have gotten pretty torqued when they get the manuals and it is missing the specs sections for the 2007 engines with the new style injectors. This one lists both which is the difference between the tech versus the standard or old ones.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Jeremy,my truck is a 2004 .I believe is the ame up to 2007

Yes, they are the same engine. Only difference is 2007 shows the new injector. However everything else is the same.

In fact, let me load the manual for that exact year up in that folder for you so you are 100% certain to have it. You can follow either one. The only thing is the injector adjustment for the overhead. You will want the 2004 one (which has the numbers in the 2007 manual) which is like a .015 difference. It is small, but that difference is 1.5 to 2 mpg difference in fuel burn.

Same link. I added a folder called 2004 which also has the EGR tech guide as well. That can come in very handy when doing the first start and the engine codes due to a lose sensor wire or one that was forgotten to be plugged in.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks a lot.I hope I can download .It keeps asking me to upgrade to a bulk download type thing.I signed up for the basic.But having trouble I let You know