Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen,
Experience:  Lead technican at Astleford international trucks
96118949

It started to die and stumble when i came to a stop. it

it started to die and stumble when i came to a stop. it started instantly and after shutting it off for a few minutes it started up and ran fine. I took it back to the shop and it started to stumble and smoke badly.
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 2001 international 4700 466dte
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the customer also informed me that it overheated in the hills

hi im alex, check the cam sensor, any check engine light?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm going back to check the codes now. This is my first time diagnosing these trucks.
Where is the cam sensor ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will call when I arrive at the truck.

cam sensor is in the front cover

Alex Olsen,
Experience: Lead technican at Astleford international trucks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will I receive a phone call today

Hi there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not get the code description. Or any dish info that goes with the code.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That was diagnostic info.

I believe we were waiting to see which code was gonna come up if any after checking the ECM power harness for issues from the battery box to the relay .

Would you like info on the cam sensor codes ?

SIGNAL FUNCTIONS

The CMP (Camshaft Position) sensor is a Hall Effect type sensor that generates a digital frequency as windows on the timing disk pass through its magnetic field. The frequency of the windows passing by the sensor as well as the width of selected windows allows the ECM to detect engine speed and position.

Engine Speed - Is determined by counting 24 windows on the timing sensor disk each camshaft revolution.

Fuel Timing Control - The position of cylinder #1 is determined by distinguishing a narrow vane on the camshaft timing sensor disk.

Engine Mode Selection - Allows the ECM to discern when the engine is in the off, crank or run mode.

Injection Control Pressure - Engine speed is one of the controlling variables in the calculation of desired injection control pressure.

Fuel Quantity Control/Torque Limiting - Engine torque and fuel is controlled and is dependent on engine speed. Fuel quantity is determined by engine speed.

Fault detection/management

An inactive CMP signal during cranking is detectable by the ECM. An inactive CMP signal will cause a no start condition. Electrical noise can also be detected by the ECM, if the level is sufficient to effect engine operation a corresponding fault code will be set. T he engine will not operate without a functioning CMP signal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The code was 222
222 is a brake switch fault and will not cause the symptoms you are describing... I would disregard that fault for now .

Do you still need help with this ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want to thank you for all the information. It was spot on!
I changed the cam sensor and the positive cable to power the computer and hasn't stalled since.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll be back.
Awesome ... Thanks for the compliment... Hope to hear from you again ! Just ask for Andy ! Take care !