Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Calling from South Africa.I have a 3208 engine in my combine

Hi There,calling from South Africa.I...
Hi There,calling from South Africa.I have a 3208 engine in my combine harvester.It would appear ti be sucking air somewhere in the fuel system
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: ..Okay,I will go check it .But a quick question.Does the 3208 require an external fuel transfer pump?Regards,
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: well,the machine tends to misfire at high revs after working a bit and then is reluctant to star again,even when warm.
8/21/2017
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
No. The engine does not require an external fuel pump. If it's sucking air. It can occur anywhere from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. But often I find them sucking air at the fuel filter or water separator.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Is there maybe a trick to locating the leak?Pressurising the system or something like that?
Sometimes they can be hard to locate. I like to bypass the lines and filter housings one at a time to find it. If you bypass something and it stops sucking air. You'll know it.
Last question-The problem not likely to be within the fuel pump itself?
Correct. Not possible for the fuel pump to suck air. Normally when they fail. The engine will not run at all.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert