Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

1992 series 60 ddec 2. Missing on the back three. Replaced…

Customer Question
1992 series 60 ddec...

1992 series 60 ddec 2. Missing on the back three. Replaced harness and had ecm repaired. Can a shorted injector cause the whole three in the set to go down?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

1992. Freighter fld ddec 2 11.1 L series 60 Detroit

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
8/17/2017
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

My info isnt showing me any diagrams of this model here but on most all model vehicles I have worked on if you have a shorted injector it can take down the injector driver in the computer causing the others to fail to operate.If you have a faulty or shorted injector it is possible that it is taking down the others.You would have to either disconnect each injector one at a time to see if one is the cause checking to see if the others work when you disconnect one at a time or have the injectors tested to see if one is faulty needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Not trying to be unruly or anything but I've seen many many series 60 Detroit post on just ask is there anyway you could connect me with the truck technician

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

24 hours for 46$. That is a little too much my customers truck is down
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My is Dan. Heavy equipment and truck technician here. Lets see if we can get your customer back on the road.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

What is it throwing for fault codes?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

My concern is the injector drivers in the ECM. If the harness is new and there are no wiring harness shorts between the ECM and injectors, test the resistance of all injector coils disconnected for any that are out of range with the others that would flag a problem.

No codes and it fails to run injector cutout using snap on pro link ultra
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

If one is out of line, replace that injector or swap it with the other bank to see if the problem moved with it. Also verify you have full battery voltage to the ECM.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

Thanks for the update. This is sounding more like the ECM repair was not successful. Did they offer any type of guaruntee?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

Your best bet is to have it reflashed and bench tested by a Detroit dealer or obtain a known good test ECM and see if the truck runs without issues

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

I posted an offer for some diagrams I have but it is just for additional and not necessary unless you would like to heave them. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star is always greatly appreciated.

Please cancel my subscription!
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

In the future spend the money for the ECM instead of trying to cut corners and repair the failed one unsuccessfully. Now you are paying twice. I understand. Sometimes the truth is not what we want to hear.

Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 10 months ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there . My name is Andy ! Do you still need help ?