Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 99 Freightliner FL 80 with a cat 3126. It is acting…

Customer Question
Hi, I have...

Hi, I have a 99 Freightliner FL 80 with a cat 3126. It is acting like it is running out of fuel. I have replaced the filter, and have checked it several times. One time, the filter was only half full. I had this problem this afternoon, filled the filter, topped off my tanks, and went to about 100 miles before it started losing power again.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

99 Freightliner FL 80. Catapillar 3126.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
8/6/2017
Technician: go-west.., Technician replied 5 years ago
go-west..
go-west.., Technician
Good evening
If there are no active codes then this biggest problem I've seen with these engines is the fuel pressure regulataor at the back of the head, the return fuel line to the tank is connected to it. It controls fuel pressure to the injectors and if faulty will not give the injectors the 65psi they need to operate properly, if ok, on some earlier Freightliners they used to use a inline canister style fuel filter, that a lot of people used to miss, trace the line from the tank to the inlet to the engine and make sure there isn't one. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you. I will look for that. This morning, it started right up, and is running fine now. I'll try to go down the road and see what happens.
I just went 20 miles and it started running rough again. I pulled the filter, the one on the engine, I don't have a primary, and it was only half full.
Good morning
Let me know what you find with what I suggested.
Good morning
How did it go?
It wound up being the fuel pump. They are putting it in now. That was an expensive pump. $1300.
sir
There is no such thing as a cheap cat part.
Thank you for your help.
Np