Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Code 559, changed lift pump and filters and water seperator,

Customer Question
Code 559, changed lift...

Code 559, changed lift pump and filters and water seperator, still have active 559

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

09 blu bird 6.7 cumins

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, the stuff i stated above is all i have done so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

It will start and run with a shot of ether, but after turning it off, it wont start on its own again without starting fluid

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/3/2017
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 8 months ago
Jackie Dempsey

Hello! Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I would like to start off by saying fault code 559 is a tricky one! This code has given me many sleepless nights. However there is a solution! Can you please provide me with your 8 digit engine serial number? I can supply the troubleshooting information without it but I prefer to be specific to each engine I assist with

I will send # to you in the morning, thank you
46870290
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 8 months ago

Goodmorning! As I mentioned 559 is a tricky code, please review the following information and let me know the results. If the calibration update does not fix the issue we can continue from there. I hope you have a good day and I look forward to continuing on this with you!

Fault Code: 559

Injector Metering Rail 1 Pressure - Data Valid but Below Normal Operational Range - Moderately Severe Level

Printable Version

Overview

CodesReasonEffect

Fault Code: 559
PID(P): P157
SPN: 157
FMI: 18
Lamp: Amber
SRT:

Injector Metering Rail 1 Pressure - Data Valid but Below Normal Operational Range - Moderately Severe Level. The ECM has detected that the fuel pressure is lower than commanded pressure.

Possibly hard to start, low power, or engine smoke. Engine could possibly not start.

LARGE

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Component Description

The ECM monitors rail fuel pressure and engine operating conditions and changes the flow command to maintain the proper rail fuel pressure. Changes to the flow command result in opening (or closing) of the electronic fuel control actuator to supply more (or less) fuel to the high-pressure pump.

Component Location

Refer to Procedure 100-002 in Section E.

Conditions For Running The Diagnostics

This diagnostic runs continuously when the engine is running.

Conditions For Setting The Fault Codes

The ECM has detected that the measured fuel rail pressure is below the commanded fuel rail pressure by a calibrated limit.

Action Taken When The Fault Code Is Active

The ECM illuminates the amber CHECK ENGINE light immediately when the diagnostic runs and fails.

Conditions For Clearing The Fault Code

The ECM will turn off the amber CHECK ENGINE light immediately after the diagnostic runs and passes.

Shoptalk

Verify the electronic control module (ECM) calibration is correct. Check the calibration revision history found on QuickServe™ Online for applicable fixes to the calibration stored in the ECM. If necessary, calibrate the ECM again. Refer to Procedure 019-032 in Section 19.

Before performing troubleshooting work, verify the vehicle's system voltage by monitoring battery voltage in the INSITE™ electronic service tool data monitor or connecting a digital volt ohm meter to the batteries. This will help identify a potential system voltage issue. Refer to the OEM service manual for specified voltage range and troubleshooting procedures.

If the engine will not start and Fault Code 559 comes active during cranking, but no speed sensor fault codes exist, monitor rail pressure with INSITE™ electronic service tool. The procedures referred to in this troubleshooting tree will also have checks for engine no start conditions.

Before servicing any fuel system components, (such as fuel lines, fuel pump, injectors, etc.) which would expose the fuel system or internal engine component to potential contaminants prior to disassembly, clean the fittings, mounting hardware, and the area around the component to be removed. Dirt or contaminants can be introduced into the fuel system and engine if the surrounding areas are not cleaned, resulting in damage to the fuel system and engine. Refer to Procedure 000-009 in Section 0.

If fuel pressure is low, check the following:

• Fuel system prime (make sure that there is fuel in the tanks and that the system is primed)
  • Fuel gear pump pressure.

If fuel gear pump pressure is correct, test for system leakage:

• High pressure pump leakage
  • Injector leakage
  • Fuel rail pressure relief valve leakage.

If Fault Code 559 is inactive and there are no existing performance complaints, it is possible that the vehicle was run out of fuel or that the fault came active if the engine was not primed following fuel filter replacement. Clear the inactive fault code.

Fault Code 559 sets when the engine is running and measured rail fuel pressure remains at least 100 Bar [1450 psi] less than commanded pressure. Once detected, Fault Code 559 will remain active until the engine is turned off or until the measured rail fuel pressure matches the commanded rail fuel pressure. When a condition exists that causes Fault Code 559 to become active, it is typical for the fault code to become active when the engine is heavily loaded and become inactive when the engine is lightly loaded.

When Fault Code 559 occurs, the fuel system has lost its ability to maintain rail fuel pressure. Causes of this fault include:

• Fuel inlet restrictions
  • Fuel filter plugging
  • Fuel gear pump output low
  • Fuel gear pump pressure regulator sticking or leaking
  • High pressure pump capacity decay (high leakage to drain from the high pressure pump)
  • Fuel rail pressure relief valve leaks to drain
  • Fuel rail pressure relief valve opens at too low a pressure
  • Injector fuel circuit leaks to drain
  • Pressure sensor reads more than 100 bar lower than actual pressure
  • Air in the fuel.

A few bubbles exiting the line during the test is expected. A foamy appearance is an indication of a leak that allows air to enter, a severe inlet restriction that causes cavitation, or a system that is not yet primed. If fuel inlet restriction is not excessive, the source of air entry could be isolated to one of the following: suction fuel lines, OEM fuel lines, suction-side fuel filter assemblies, or stand-pipe(s) in the fuel tank(s).

The fuel rail pressure sensor can be checked. When checking the fuel rail pressure sensor accuracy, make sure the high-pressure fuel rail is not pressurized. The fuel pump, high-pressure fuel lines, and fuel rail contain very high-pressure fuel. Do not loosen any fittings while the engine is running. Wait at least 10 minutes after shutting down the engine before loosening any fittings in the high-pressure fuel system, to allow the pressure to decrease to a lower level. There could be a significant amount of time waiting on the rail to depressurize completely to 0. It could be necessary to manually relieve the pressure from the high pressure fuel rail.

Intermittent ECM power supply connections can cause Fault Code 559 . If the engine is running with an active Fault Code 559 and Fault Codes 449, 1911, or 2311 are not present, check the ECM power supply for intermittent connections or battery issues. Fault Code 1117 can also be active if this fault condition exits.

Inactive Fault Code/Exhausted Troubleshooting Tree:

Troubleshooting inactive Fault Code 559 can be very difficult. The fault code must be active for any of the outlined procedures in which the engine is operated during the test. For engines with high counts of inactive Fault Code 559 or if the troubleshooting tree has been exhausted, operate the engine on a chassis dynamometer or a diagnostic road test to duplicate the fault code. The most common causes of intermittent Fault Code 559 that are difficult to create are leaking high-pressure connectors that only leak when the engine and the fuel are hot, intermittent fuel supply restrictions such as debris floating in the fuel tank, and a fuel pressure relief valve that opens prematurely. Check the High Pressure Connector (HPC) and connector torque and torque to specification if necessary. Operate the engine on a chassis dynamometer or conduct a diagnostic road test to duplicate the fault code. Use INSITE™ electronic service tool to log fuel system parameters during testing.

019-032 Engine Control Module Calibration Code

Select Service Tools

Recommended Cummins® Service Tools

• INSITE™ electronic service tool

Additional Service Items

• No additional service items required.

ECM Recalibration Information

General Information

Note : Due to the number of various engine control module (ECM) configurations, this procedure has been written to be common. Not all illustrations within this procedure will represent the application that is being worked on.

ECM calibrations can be performed by INSITE™ electronic service tool.

After an ECM is replaced or calibrated, the actual engine hours / distance must be entered correctly into the ECM.

Record the values of ECM Distance Offset, ECM Time Offset, Engine Distance Offset, and Engine Time Offset prior to replacement or calibration of the ECM. These parameters can be found in the Trip Information section of Features and Parameters.

Initial Check

Note : If the tool will not communicate with the keyswitch in the ON position, cycle the keyswitch and try again.

The ECM calibration process occurs with the keyswitch turned ON. Always follow the instructions on the service tool screens.

Preparatory Steps

Connect INSITE™ electronic service tool to the service tool data link, which is located on the engine or in the cab.

See the help section within INSITE™ electronic service tool for detailed ECM calibration procedures.

Input the values of ECM Distance Offset, ECM Time Offset, Engine Distance Offset, and Engine Time Offset prior to replacement or calibration of the ECM. These parameters can be found in the Trip Information section of Features and Parameters.

LARGE

Following calibration download, if new fault codes or fault conditions exist, perform the following steps in order to understand if the calibration is working correctly and is the appropriate calibration for the application.

If it is suspected that the calibration is not working correctly, make sure that the appropriate calibration was loaded for the engine, equipment, and application.

If no issues are found, no further action is required.

LARGE

Inspect

Establish if the suspected feature creating the problem is operating correctly. Reference the relevant “Electronic Controlled Fuel System” (Procedure 101-007) in Section 1 of the appropriate Operation and Maintenance Manual or in INSITE™ electronic service tool “Fault Information System” for further information.

LARGE

Note : To access INSITE™ electronic service tool “Adjustable Engine Features” section, either select Help -> Contents from the menu bar, or press F1 with an individual feature within the Features and Parameters section in INSITE™ electronic service tool highlighted.

Review the INSITE™ electronic service tool help files “Adjustable Engine Features” section to determine if the suspected error is due to an incorrectly set adjustable engine feature.

LARGE

Use QuickServe™ Online to inspect the calibraton revision history.

1. Log into QuickServe™ Online
  2. Select "My Applications"
  3. Select "ECM Calibraton Revisions"
  4. Enter the calibration code and select "Search"
  5. Review the calibration revision information.

Note : The calibration revision history provides information relating to changes made to a calibration each time a new revision is released. This information can be used to establish if there is a commonality between changes made to the calibration and the symptoms being observed. The calibration revision history can also be downloaded in Excel format by selecting “Spreadsheet” in the record filter box.

LARGE

Note : The greater the number of parameters, the slower the rate at which they can be logged. Therefore, only log the minimum number of parameters if sample rate is important.

If no issue can be identified using the steps listed above, the following information should be collected to allow the issue to enter the technical escalation chain:

1. Engine specifics engine serial number (ESN), application, rating, engine hours, maintenance history, etc.)
  2. ECM codes (the codes before and after, including revision numbers)
  3. ECM images (before and after calibration downloads)
  4. Data logs (utilize existing, pre-defined parameter groups, found in INSITE™ electronic service tool, or use the relevant wiring diagram to identify if multiple circuits utilize a common supply or ground, or monitor parameters which logically would be linked - i.e. User Fuelling State, Engine Speed, Commanded Fuel Rail Pressure, Measured Fuel Rail Pressure, etc.).
ya, I can print or look at the diag tree on quickserve too, without your help, thanx, I don't have the tool to recalibrate or update the ecm, don't think that's it anyway. I will just fallow the diag steps on the quickserve site, i'll just take a refund bud. have a good day thanx for trying
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson