Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2009 detroit dd15 with very slow throttle response up to…

Customer Question
2009 detroit dd15 with...

2009 detroit dd15 with very slow throttle response up to 1200 to 1300 rpm then its got plenty of power. I have 7 of them i maintain in my fleet of 23 trucks and normally they dont kick my butt but this one has. All new filters cleaned filter housings. every time it falls under 1300 rpm its flat as can be no power

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I need someone with a good understanding of a dd15 fuel system

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

900000 on the truck. DD15 with a Eaton smart shift transmission. truck has been flawless until now. never an issue

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
8/2/2017
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 1 year ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

have you verified the egr is not stuck open??

if you have a fuel pressure gauge, what is the fuel pressure at the fuel module test port??

at lower rpm, is the intake throttle valve open and not slamming shut??

do you have the DDDL program to monitor the fuel pressure??

throttle pedal voltage?? have you verified at the idle range??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have dddl and the throttle response is showing to be 100 percent when the pedal is activated. new throttle valve and it is working correctly. truck has had a dpf delete done but no performance issues after that.

100% when???

what about egr and fuel pressure??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I havent checked the fuel pressure and the egr valve seems to be working correctly. Throttle pedal works correctly thru the pedal travel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At 1300 rpm it takes off like a rocket plenty of power from there up to the top of the rpm range
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sluggish response at 1300 and lower rpm is the only issue no codes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
with plenty of pulling power above 1300 wouldnt that eliminate a fuel pressure issue?

ok, maybe depending on the pressure at idle

also, what about the delta P sensor?? did you remove it and inspect for coolant on the sensor and the passages are clear to the cold pipe??

also, the voltage of the delta P??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I removed it and cleaned it but no change cleaned the passages too (common issue). i swaped it with another known good part reads 14.52

14.5?? really

it should only read between ,5 and 1 volt.

also, did you calibrate your used one prior to installation??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no i didnt. let me plug back up and do that and get some accurate data
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
back to you in a few

make sure you calibrate it with it off the truck in ambient air

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok delta p is .31 at idle and 1.28 at full throttle
smoke control 0
Baro 14.53
idle rail pressure 350 - 352
full throttle 530 and fluctuating slightly maybe 10 to 15 lbs

is the idle steady?? quantity control valve reading correctly?? not a hunting idle??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Idle is smooth

what about the overhead?? has that been done???

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no but this problem started after a filter change fine one day and dead the next

was there any debris in the small fuel filter??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
very little
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there pressure regulators that could be stuck open not letting it build pressure?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are the rail pressures right that i gave you ?

then it leads me toward injectors.

if the regulator was the issue you would be able to see it bleeding off on the return line. use your red dot heat detector to see if fuel is bleeding off.

the high side is low but if that was an issue, it would have high rpm issue

the low side is just below what it should be and that may be the issue

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just dont understand how it can be injectors from one start up to the next. could be

dirt that came from when you removed the fuel filters. that small filter is the key to debris.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that would cause low power on the bottom side of the rpm range but fine up top?

yep, irregular fuel pattern or dripping injectors and the ecm is adjusting the fuel map.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
got 2 cylinders showing negative on the cylinder balance test one is at -55

yep, not good

is that the static compression test??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you get me a wiring schematic of the engine wiring harness for my engine 2009 dd15 the delta pressure wiring has to be dead its unresponsive.

last 6 of the vin??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
AL9607
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Delta pressure switch not recognized by the ecm. Ecm was bad.

where did the voltages come from that you have me???