Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I just finished rebuild cat c13 lee10760. The pulley on the…

Customer Question
I just finished rebuild...

I just finished rebuild cat c13 lee10760 . The pulley on the damper not aligned with fan pulley . What going on ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Cat c13

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Kenworth t800 2009
7/31/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Can you upload a picture indicating how it is out of line and if it is too far in or out? By how much?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

It's about between 1/4 to 1/8 far . I can't found the problem I checked if the bracket has space between the head and the bracket the answer from cat was no . I checked the dumper and the poly for anything that can cause the problem . Everything ok . The only thing I'm thinking that it is spacer between bracket and cylinder or head . Or bad design by cat . Or crankshaft problem
Or may be crankshaft moving forward
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

The crankshaft thrust washers are in the same location when the rod and mains were installed I am assuming and the end play is in specs? Is the crank out further than it should be towards the radiator or in to far towards the engine?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Was any work done to the crank or was this an inframe?

Inframe only
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Thrust washers the same and in the same location on the crank? end play tests in specs? That is what I would verify.

I will check the spec . They don't need to put washers between poly brackets to engine block to move all the Pollys forward?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Are there washers there now? So to clarify, the crank is out 1/8 to 1/4 towards the radiator and the pulleys are too close to the block by 1/8-1/4 inch. This ia a serpentine setup or v belt?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Is this the configuration you have?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Note: All the belt running surface of the idler pulleys must be free from paint.

(1) The mounting surfaces of the support bracket must be free from paint.

Use the following procedure to assemble the support bracket:

Note: Use the tightening sequence that is shown in Illustration 2 in order to tighten the bolts (2) and the nuts (7) .

1. Hand tighten the bolts and the nuts.

1. Again, tighten the bolts and the nuts to standard torque.

(3) Use the following procedure to tighten the screws:

1. Hand tighten the screws.

1. Again, tighten the screws to standard torque.

(4) Use the following procedure to tighten the bolt:

Note: Assemble the bushing so that the bushing is flush with the surface (8) .

(C) Approximate position for the bushing ... 5 mm (0.2 inch)

1. Hand tighten the bolt.

1. Again, tighten the bolt to standard torque.

(5) Before assembly, lubricate the outside surface of the bushing with 4C-5599 Anti-Seize Compound.

(6) Final installation torque for three idler pulleys ... 50 ± 5 N·m (37 ± 4 lb ft)

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Gotta run to an appt for 2... those are the instructions for the install for the Pulleys.

The support bracket going direct on the engine or they have any washer/ spacer between the bracket and the engine
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

It is not showing any washers. By chance did you notice any problems with alignment before the rebuild? How does the belt look? Wear on one edge?

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson