Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

My tail light won't go off unless I disconnect the power

Customer Question
my tail light won't go...
my tail light won't go off unless I disconnect the power source also my information panel won't go off either
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 day by:
7/31/2017
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 3 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I see there are new questions that keep getting opened in regards ***** ***** question. For some reason it was closed and no one could respond. That caused a lot of confusion on this end and that is why there was a delay.

Per your other questions, this is a 2016 Peterbilt? Can I get the model?

When you mention the information panel, are you referring to the small info panel in the speedometer or the large 4 to 6 inch one on the dash?

If you wiggle the keys, with the truck off, will the panel go out?

Have you checked the air brake pressure switch yet? That is the cause 99% of the time for the brake lights staying on. I would just buy the switch and replace it. When there is any moisture that gets in that switch, it will not shut the brake lights off. I'm presuming that is what you meant on tail lights.

If you are referring to the regular parking light tail lights, then that is a lot harder to diagnose for then you need the DAVIE Paccar software to see why the module is not shutting down. They are 100% controlled by the lighting module and there could be an error in it.

One of the things to check for is to remove the glove box, remove the cover behind it, and look for water or traces of where water could have dripped with a flash light while shining on the firewall and around that module. The windshields are known to leak on the passenger side and water gets on the module which causes weird issues. Take a look there and make sure there is no water leaking for that will be the cause and will keep causing more issues if it is. If it isn't leaking, then connect up the DAVIE software and see what the module is showing. It may be a simple corrosion issue to a actual module failure issue from spiking alternator current, lighting strike to the vehicle or near it, or bad battery cells that are causing amp spies to cause the module to be surged and cause havoc. I've seen all these scenarios.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician